Cloudy pool

Every other day or so when I sweep our 10 X 5 pool, I get clouds of what appears to be something yellow. I've had a local pool man round who tried to remove the top of the filter to have a look inside and change the sand but it's stuck solid. He thinks it might be glued on! His opinion is that it could well be chucking out sand into the pool.

Any advice e.g save time and change it because it's becoming a bit of a pain.  Also, is it an easy job to do oneself?

[quote user="les heureux"]

Every other day or so when I sweep our 10 X 5 pool, I get clouds of what appears to be something yellow. I've had a local pool man round who tried to remove the top of the filter to have a look inside and change the sand but it's stuck solid. He thinks it might be glued on! His opinion is that it could well be chucking out sand into the pool.

Any advice e.g save time and change it because it's becoming a bit of a pain.  Also, is it an easy job to do oneself?

[/quote]

Whatever you do that top will have to come off at some point. A strap wrench may do the job. If the lid has been there a long time it has probably just locked on the rubber seal and using a strap wrench, carefully, should prove it will move. If it is glued then it is probably because there is a problem with the seal and some twit has been allowed near it, but it must come off at some point. Even if it comes down to changing the complete filter you will either have to empty it or else move it with better part of a couple of hundred weight of sand in it. Sorry, talking real money here! For metrik minds, about 200 Kg of sand...?

If it is chalk I would not expect to see yellow, but as Peter has said it's a good idea to vac it to waste. It will only have to be back washed out of the filter otherwise. If you have zeolite in the filter instead of sand you will not have the problem of anything getting through, because the zeolite filters down to juust a few microns, about 1 to 5 microns, so any muck into the filter gets caught. It is a direct replacement to sand, more expensive, but much beter in my opinion. I don't have anything to do with selling it, just someone who uses it!!

You don't say how long the sand has been in the filter. It has a normal life of about 5 years. It is easy to change, bit alkward but easy. Bin there done that! Did it agian when I changed to zeolite!! Bit like playing with restricted sand castles really and it don't arf clean yur finger nails too!! By the way, the best sand will filter is to 20 microns on a good day and when it gets a bit used/worn about 30 microns...