will we be able to fill it?

Rose

As some may already know... We're moving to the Dordogne in August (less than 10 weeks to go!!! [:$]

We're planning to purchase an above-ground pool for the tail end of summer.   We have a friend who can buy one in France for us and keep it till we arrive (they're cheaper over there than in the UK) but I was thinking... is there likely to be a hose-pipe ban in force in August?  Is it usual?  Would we be able to fill a pool at that time of year?   All replies gratefully received!

Your local water company will publish any restrictions that come in force  also backed up by notices issued by your commune . In my case in August where there is a huge demand on water as its  an  area with lots of tourists . ..last year you could not even use water for the garden between certain hours of the day....In the square in La Tranche for example there is an electronic  sign that warns when the restriction comes into force so everybody is made aware .. you will probable find any restriction with be well known about locally .

[quote user="Gemini_man"]not after all the rain we've had in the Dordogne so far this year - it's not like the Charente you know  [6]
[/quote]

aha... a glimmer of hope then?  Is it safe to go back and tell the kids that we may be lucky then?  I told them tonight to brace themselves... you can imagine how popular I was at tea time!!! [blink]

[quote user="pale pink specs"]

[quote user="Gemini_man"]not after all the rain we've had in the Dordogne so far this year - it's not like the Charente you know  [6]
[/quote]

aha... a glimmer of hope then?  Is it safe to go back and tell the kids that we may be lucky then?  I told them tonight to brace themselves... you can imagine how popular I was at tea time!!! [blink]

[/quote]

The kids will have great fun and,

you will be able to join them as long as you remember to bring your water wings.

Thanks F1... we'll be about 10km from St Astier... about 25 mins drive north of Bergerac... not a million miles away from you!  It would be great to keep us updated... although not a great deal we can do about it from the UK, but nonetheless it would be good to forewarn the little darlings! [:D]

We have had occassion to ask the Prefecture about the possiblitiy of

water restrictions this season and they have responded offically that

due to heavy and cosistent rain (an how!!) throughout the beginning of

the year there is a present no plan to impose restriction this year.

They are at liberty naturally to change thier minds without warning.

Andrew

Why bother with a pool right now - all we have to do is pop out the front door and swim out to our front gate; if we get bored with that we can have a lovely swim in the indoor pool (the cave),  and then if we get a little bored with those we swim down the garden (past the half full (half completed)) pool, and have a dip in the farmers field at the end of the lane.  We are very close to Dordogne border, and I imagine there would be a riot if they so much as suggested there was a water shortage in near future !!!!!!!!!

I think my brain has got wet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... I guess it would be a fair assumption that filling the pool will be no problem this year?  [Www]  maybe the sunshine is waiting until we arrive... kind of like a welcoming party?  [:D]

[quote user="pale pink specs"]

Hi all... I guess it would be a fair assumption that filling the pool will be no problem this year?  [Www]  maybe the sunshine is waiting until we arrive... kind of like a welcoming party?  [:D]

[/quote]

If that is true could you please get here sooner rather than later.  We really would like some sun on a regular basis!