How often should a pool be cleaned?

Dan Chase

Gi Guys & Gals,

Just got back from a most enjoyable holiday in the Perigord Noir - the house was excellent but there was just one thing that bothered me.

On arrival, it seemed the pool had not been hovered - being a habitual holidayer in France for the last ten years this was a first for me.  The pool was very nicely built into a terrace surrounded by woodland, but with a bit of wind loads of stuff blew in - no cover was avalable to cover up overnight.  The detritus in the pool was mainly leaves and critters (including a dead mouse!) and was very dark, along with some very small green algae growing on the sides of the pool (it was tiled).  The pool cleaner showed up three days after our arrival and did a fine job of hovering - but for our two week stay that was the only time it was done and despite our best efforts with the net, it looked pretty crappy again after 4 days.  I should point out that the pool chap did return a couple of time to do tests but no cleaning.  The water was clear and although one member of my party did complain of stomach issues after using the pool I personally had no problems.

Is this cleaning regime ok?  on all of my previous holidays the cleaner has usually hovered, cleaned and checked at least twice a week.

Thanks,  Dan.

Like Mikey my gite pool gets daily attention, cleaning and testing of levels etc, but then I do have an electric robotic cleaner which is a godsend.

For a rental property, I would suggest the minimum cleaning should be at least twice a week. Ideally every two days would be good, but the costs involved may be prohibitive. It also depends on the individual pool, covered pools with abris should not need as much cleaning of debris

I do not agree with Mikey about pool guests cleaing their pools apart from with a net.

I have had guests who have told me that at gites they had stayed at before, they were expected to clean the pool and test the water.

Ditto with Mikey and JJ, our pool is hoovered (I am the robot here!), tested, margels cleaned, terrace swept and washed, sunbeds cleaned etc everyday, even the fence gets a wipe down. I wouldn't want to get in a dirty pool so I wouldn't expect our guests too either, hence the daily cleaning regime and its hardly hard work[:D].  If I was on holiday, I wouldn't want to be responsible for cleaning a pool, it costs enough for a gite holiday as it is without having to do some one else's job to save them a few bob on getting some one in to do it!

[quote user="JJ"]

I have had guests who have told me that at gites they had stayed at before, they were expected to clean the pool and test the water.

[/quote]

JJ is'nt unbelievable that gites owners would expect guests to clean the pool and test the water. I agree they could use a net to clear surface debris, but as there are many pool owners who have great difficulty understanding how to maintain a pool and safe water management, so how would a guest be expected to know? Anyone running a Gite with a pool IMO who do not maintain them on very regular basis should not be in the business, the possible consequences to the guests could lead to lawyers having a field day.

Baz

I always enjoys loafing around the edge of a pool with a big net, dragging out dead mice and the odd leaf...but if i was a Gite owner, I would hate to think of leaving the welfare of my rather expensive pool to some people who I've only just met who probably haven't the faintest idea of how to correctly service a pool. Surely the extra one pays when renting a gite with pool covers for the cleaning and upkeep of said pool???

Hi,

Yes I have written to the owner with regards the pool - though he is currently enjoying the property himself for the whole of August so I shall have to wait for his return for a reply. 

As with other comments, I have no problem with doing daily duty with the net - indeed I find it good for clearing the head in the morning - along with a strong coffee of course, but the lack of professional cleaning was a surprise - I wonder whether the owner is aware of how cleaning the cleaner is actually doing?

Dan

You could write to him at the property

"but the lack of professional cleaning was a surprise - I wonder whether the owner is aware of how cleaning the cleaner is actually doing?"

Perhaps the owner is unaware that so little pool cleaning is done. It will be easier for him to sort the matter while he is over there.