To filter or refill?

Hi pool people,

We are just new-bees in France (moved into house in mid December) we have a pool and with the good weather over this last week curiosity got the better of me and I took the pool cover off.  I reckon this is the first time the pool cover has come off in 2years.  What with it being up for sale for a while, time elapsed before we saw it and the notaire doing his time consuming thing. 

The water was very murky with long 2 inch x ¾ inch rolls of dirt/algae rolling on the bottom and in various heights of suspension in the pool water I tried filtering but that just mixed it all up, now I can only just about, see to the bottom of the 5 ½  foot depth.  Is this filterable or is it a waste of time and do we need a total refill because that sounds expensive.  But we don’t really know as the first water bill hasn’t come home to roost yet?

Any ideas all you pool owners? Thanks in advance

wild geese

Wild geese

As a matter of policy, you should not have to empy a pool exept in exceptional circumstances.

Your pool equipment should be man enough to tackle a 'mucky one'. If it isn't then you should think about changing it for a system that is.

Firstly, get your net- the one on the long pole and get all the large solids out of the pool, its not fun but its essential.

Then, connect your robot and let that little guy run around vacuuming for a few hours, backwash a couple of times.

Then balance the pH, and total alkylinity and after that add chlor choc to about 10ppm and circulate/filter for about 3-4 days.

Presto.... clean pool;

If it isn't then call me.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your advice I shall give what you say a try.  Where would you get one of those pool robots from?  It sounds a lot simpler than the vacume hose that we have at the moment.  I never was too good with the Hoover it never was good enough (you’ve missed a bit there and there, you just can’t win), but with robots now that sounds nice and technical, a set and forget it cleaner yeah that sounds real good.

Geoff  [:)]