pool steps and handrail

Hi folks,

I have a bit of a problem, I am stroke disabled on my left side and late last autumn we moved to the Sarlat area from UK for the warmer dryer weather on my joints.  The pool came with the house which was one of the main reasons we bought it.  We are pretty well spent up at the moment (getting the house and all) so as per normal cash is tight again.  

Our intention is to use the pool for some hydrotherapy to help me with my mobility.  Although the water is only 19C at the moment I’ve been in twice already this year and love it.  The pool is only 44 inches deep up to mid skimmer height (quite adequate for my purpose)  my problem is not getting in (a controlled fall with a sharp intake of breath when I eventually surface on one leg works fine at the moment)

My problem is getting out of the pool I’ve looked into corner stairs and hand rail to get out (I have limited mobility so that should work ok) and with assistance from HWMBO I could manage ok. Standing on a submerged plastic garden chair works but a bit rickety

But the prices these shops are after is serious cash they seem to want my remaining good working arm, and the family jewels and they aint getting either.  So what I really want is a cheap set of step type piscine escaliers with a hand rail. New or second hand I’m easy, l don’t mind.  Can anyone help me please?

Regard

Geoff  

Hi Freddy,

That picture/link seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, as you say a bit on the pricy side but it's a one off payment I'll not be buying one every week.  Look on the bright side I can use the bottom two steps as a step exerciser witout having to pay for one ("step ups" ahh 'orrible memories of army days but without the combat gear/snow/rain/sleet  and some sadistic PTI screaming down your ear).  Many thanks Freddy I'll be on to that tomorrow 

Regards

Geoff

The more expensive steps look really good, especially with the hand rails. When I wanted some steps for our pool there just were not any on the market so I made ours from 10+ square meters of chopped strand fibre glass and several gallons of polyester resin. I must admit that they turned out well too. No hand rail though... and a lot of work!!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Fglasssteps3.jpg[/IMG]

If you were to think of the dog steps then I would think twice very carefully. The steps will take your weight, but if you have a liner or fibre glass pool the bottom of the pool ladder will put a tremendous pressure on the pool wall and very possibly damage the wall. We have a set for our labrador, but I clamber up the side on the proper ladder if I go out that way.

Good luck...

Edit:- In the photo the black pipe from the jet is to direct water behind the steps so there is no stale water behind them. This would lead to stagnant water and algie problems.  Also, if you have a safety cover on your pool you would have to remove the steps every time you put the cover on.