How do you prime the pump?

JJ

Greetings, I need help, a friends pool that I look after once week is giving me problems.

For some reason when I visited yesterday the pump was running dry.

I then tried in vain to prime it, but to no avail.I can see no blockages.

I looked it up in Terri Taminens book, but could not make sense of it.

Can anyone help me with a quick idiots guide.

Many thanks.

Is it above the water line or below it?

Is it a self priming pump or not?

How long did you run it dry?

Are all the valves open?

What did you do when you have tried manually priming?

How many valves are there feeding the suction end?

There are many other questions that could be asked before any help could be offered.   A professional visit would resolve it but it would cost, naturally (though it may be cheaper than a pump replacement).

You need to supply more information about the pool and its systems, what you do each week, what you may have done differently, has anything happened around the pool that is diffferent, has anything happened to the pool that is different and anythign else that could be important.

I have to say also that I believe in the freedom of choice and personal rights etc. and respect the pool owners decision to use who he wants to maintain his pool but it is frustrating to see 'cleaners' asking for help having taken work from those who have specifically invested thier time and money in gaining knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications to do what they do.   Yes I know the price arguements but you get what you pay for.

Did I get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?[8-)]

Yes I thinks so P.... (wrong side of the bed thing)

Have a coffee chill for a bit, we can't be everywhere and all things to all men all the time.

On occasions like Jim's problem, its fine to offer a diagnositc advice line.... not everything is chargeable.

Jim

bit more info and perhaps a pic of layout. I suspect that the pump will be sucking air rather than water ( did you check that the cover to the prefilter is back on properly)

Andrew