How do you lower Total Alkalinity?

JJ

Greetings, I have some friends who have a pool with a high TA reading, I consulted Terri TAMINEN's pool maintainence book, it advises adding Muriatic Acid, my friends duly visited ther local pool shop, who had never heard of such an acid, and sold them what I think is Hydrochloric acid.

Now I know there are lots of pool shops who do not have much knowledge, I should now I have been to a few.

But anybody tell me what one should add to reduce TA, my water is the opposite and the  TA often needs to be increased, and I know how to do that with bicarb of soda.

Regards.

[quote user="JJ"]

Greetings, I have some friends who have a pool with a high TA reading, I consulted Terri TAMINEN's pool maintainence book, it advises adding Muriatic Acid, my friends duly visited ther local pool shop, who had never heard of such an acid, and sold them what I think is Hydrochloric acid.

Now I know there are lots of pool shops who do not have much knowledge, I should now I have been to a few.

But anybody tell me what one should add to reduce TA, my water is the opposite and the  TA often needs to be increased, and I know how to do that with bicarb of soda.

Regards.

[/quote]

Jim

I can't really see the reason for reducing the TA unless its outrageously high - say over 500ppm, then your not really needing to do anyting much as the use if pH moins in what ever form will gradually bring it down anyway. You didn't say wht the reading was....?

Andrew