Poolsan

Pontius

Interesting you raised the question as there was an article in last weekend Daily Mail about Poolsan. It has only really been used commercially for a short time and  although it has been trialled by the Leatherhead Leisure Centre and now being  used by a large UK Hotel chain it may need further long time proof of its effectiveness. The cost may be a consideration for pool owners on a limited budget.

It will be interesting to hear the comments of the Pool Professionals.

Baz

They are sending out info to pool companies to try to get distribution in France.

This is what is in it but they do not give amounts etc so need some more info.

PoolSan is a saturated complex ionic aqueous solution containing chiefly Copper, Zinc, Gold, Silver, Aluminium, Manganese, Iron and Nitrogen.

When we are all trying to cut out as much additives as poss seems to me to have a lot in it.

Will keep you informed of any progress.

Did not think the price was that inviting.

Chrish

Related topic - a friend has just had a hot tub installed and is new to all the chemical balances issues etc. I ran through what I could as the recommended levels are similar to a swimming pool BUT she haas been sold something called 'aquafinesse' as an organic set of ingredients allegedly eliminating the need for others apart from chlorine. The latter is in galette form and so has cynuric acid therein. We have been unable to find out what is in this liquid and I fear it is either an expensive way to use necessary chemicals or is atotally unecessary con. Any knowledge/views/ideas?

Many thanks

pouyade

Just another snake oil sales man trying it on.

These are the heavy metals I spend my life trying to get out of a pool, the idea of deliberately putting them in is the stuff of nightmares - lets care just a little bit about the environment and not try on purpose to pollute the water our life depends on.

The systems available now work if they are set up properly, there is no point changing to a regime that is worse, more expensive and hideously irresponsible for the planet.

Andrew

Well said! 

I have no doubt that this stuff kills bugs and bacteria stone dead but at what cost to the environment?  I was intrigued to read that (to paraphrase) 'when the level of Cu++ drops, add some more Poolsan' 

Where does the copper go ??? The answer is that it stays in the pool and changes to other copper ions.  I bet after a while of using this you could chuck a steel bar in and it would come out copper plated!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="pouyade"]

Related topic - a friend has just had a hot tub installed and is new to all the chemical balances issues etc. I ran through what I could as the recommended levels are similar to a swimming pool BUT she haas been sold something called 'aquafinesse' as an organic set of ingredients allegedly eliminating the need for others apart from chlorine. The latter is in galette form and so has cynuric acid therein. We have been unable to find out what is in this liquid and I fear it is either an expensive way to use necessary chemicals or is atotally unecessary con. Any knowledge/views/ideas?

[/quote]

Hot tubs are great things if looked after properly.   You should only buy from someone who will also spend time with you showing you how to look after the product and how to use and handle chemicals.   Hot tubs and spas are not like swimming pools and should not be treated as such (1.5 to 2 cubic metres of water against 40 to 45 in a pool - think about bather loads for starters).   When you buy a hot tub or spa from a reputable dealer, they should provide you with a FREE chemical starter pack so the product is sanitised from day one.  

Selling hot tubs and spas is my main business but with that comes a responsibility as, though the process of caring for one is simple, the potential for issues needs to be understood fully.   On the up side, as well as being very sociable products, they have huge health benefits - I have just heard from one customer who, at the end of his gardening days (every other day), would take a sleeping pill and a painkiller to get to sleep but now he spends 20 minutes in the spa instead.   Another customer tells me about how him and his teenage son now spend half an hour every evening in the spa talking about their day to each other; priceless! -  he also moans about his teenage son and his friends comandeering the spa occasionally - another reason why it needs to be looked after (teenage soup doesn't bear thinking about).  

PM or email me if your friend wants specific help and information.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Well said! 

I have no doubt that this stuff kills bugs and bacteria stone dead but at what cost to the environment?  I was intrigued to read that (to paraphrase) 'when the level of Cu++ drops, add some more Poolsan' 

Where does the copper go ??? The answer is that it stays in the pool and changes to other copper ions.  I bet after a while of using this you could chuck a steel bar in and it would come out copper plated!

[/quote]

My thoughts entirely Pierre. The thought of swimming in a copper bath to me seems bizarre?

By the way Pierre, if you really wanted the copper coat that steel bar you would need to connect the bar to the neg terminal of a battery and dangle a non copper electrode in the pool connected to the positive end of yer battery me-thinks? 12v OK, 24v better but don't go above 50v cause it's dodgy big time![:-))]

[quote user="Jonzjob"][quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Well said! 

[/quote]

My thoughts entirely Pierre. The thought of swimming in a copper bath to me seems bizarre?

By the way Pierre, if you really wanted the copper coat that steel bar you would need to connect the bar to the neg terminal of a battery and dangle a non copper electrode in the pool connected to the positive end of yer battery me-thinks? 12v OK, 24v better but don't go above 50v cause it's dodgy big time![:-))]

[/quote]

Wow, not been around long on this forum, is this the first anti every other sanitation system thread?

Jonzjob what about the environmemt, so evaporating chlorine into the atmosphere is good is it?  Where does the copper go? it stays in the pool and magically changes into other copper ions, how? if it went in as cu++ and losses the ++ how does it get it back again?

You would both have to wait a very long time to copper plate anything at a concentration of 0.7 ppm

Oh by the way you two better rip out all your copper plumbing if you really are that worried.

Swimming pools are all cotainers of chemicals they all damage the environment a bit, its a balance whatever system you use.

Just as a matter of interest Teathingy I think that you JUST might find that the copper plating part was just a tincy wincy bit tounge in cheek and if you have read any other of my tounge in cheek postings you would have realised this [:D] ? I never have been able to take life too seriously, it's too short for that and I am truely sorry if my twisted sense of humour ever upsets you or anyone else. It is definately not meant to [kiss] !! It just so happens that as I am early retired I would have the time, as long as the beer lasts, to sit and watch the copper plating, but I would much rather be in the pool [:D]

The reason that I have an auto chlor/PH system and Zeolite filter fitted to our pool is to try to ensure that we are swimming in the best possibe water that we can. At the moment the chlor is 1.88 ppm with a PH of 7.2. TA, cyanuric and total chlor are all pretty well spot on too. When I backwash our filter the water goes onto the ground by out LARGE laylandie tree, however the hell it's spelled? And I wouldn't do that if I thought it was going to do any harm, 'onest..

As a parter, I don't think that any of us are anti anything that's not chlor. It's just that I for one think that chlor is at the top of the tree at the moment. Show me something that's better and still good for the envioronment and I will shout for it.

Hey dont take me to seriously either, just because I take the pee as well.[6]  I take on board what Chrish and poolguy say, chucking a load of metal in your pool is going a bit in wrong direction but the concentrations are very small. Dont forget that salt water pools are sodium chloride and sodium is a metal to, also sodium (salt) is poisonous to humans (in the right concentrations) As i said its a chemical soup which ever flavour you choose.

It is one of my aims to try and help people reduce the amount of chlorine they use by supplimenting an ioniser or U.V. or even a non chlorine product provided they dont cost a fortune. Then if you are still in love with the smell of bleach you can bring your concentration down to 0.5ppm and save a bit of the ozone for the rest of us your Llaylandi may even thank you for it, by the way is yours still green of have you bleached it white yet [:D]

Now with your spelling, I'll have a pint of what you just had. [B]