Above ground 'temporary' pools.

Llantony

For difficult sites or on a budget the Intex above ground pools are an ideal solution. We have one and have been very pleased with it. Personally I'd be wary of the inflatable ones and view them as strictly temporary. Incidentally the adults portayed have either been pasted into the picture or are 8' tall as the water depth is about 4' !

[img]http://www.howardswimmingpools.co.uk/intex18x9x52.jpg[/img]

You need to consider your needs when thinking about what type of pool.   For example, the Intex equipment pack is no robust enough for high bather volume without the need for high chemical usage.   It is not suitable for commercial use as a result - and it does not comply with the requirements of law for commercial pools.   That said, I am not naive enough to realise that there are many letting properties in France that could arguably be described as commercial operations who run with a standard pool installation, above or in ground, with no issue.   If it is for personal use then an Intex pool will work though they are not aesthetically pleasing (I guess that is personal taste)

Why don't you ask a local pool supplier to quote for you and they will be able to assess access and build issues.   This should be a free service and if it is not, find another to quote.   If they suggest that they cannot do it then you can press ahead with finding an alternative that can be taken through in parts and built on site.

If budget is the issue then there are many types of pool to chose from that will be suitable for a site with limited access - some you can build and others you will need professional help with (or at least someone with a reasonable hands on aptitude).   You could spend 2,000 to 20,000 euros for a typical 8x4 pool depending materials, quality, warranty length, self build or professional build, filter medium, completely above ground, semi sunk etc.

If you take wooden pools for example, there is nothing French made that will last longer than 3 years if the pool is semi sunk without further treating the already treated wood.   BZc (a UK based manufacturer) can provide a pool that has a 15 year guarantee on the wood, even for in ground puproses without further treatment and they also use zeolite in the filters they provide.   They can also be taken in through standard doorways.   These are top end and much more costly than the type you see at DIY sheds but it is horses for courses.   There are good French brands out there that are slightly cheaper but as with anything, when comparing prices you need to compare like for like.   Things to consider are length of warranties, quality of fittings, thickness of liners, style of liners, thickness of wood, treatment of wood, filter medium, control systems, ongoing maintenance (lifetime costs), after sales service, delivery included or not, build included or not, commissioning and instruction included or not, maintenance tools (vacuum hose, nets, etc), English/French manuals etc.

There are also wide variaties in inflatable pools and again when comparing prices it is important to consider what has already been outlined.   There is a particularly good manufacturer called Zodiac with a strong French presence (not sure if they are) who are the same company that make RIB's (rigid inflatable boats).   They use the same materials and manufacturing process so the seals etc are first class.   They make a huge range up to 9 metres round and 13.5x4.5 oblong.   Because they have an inflated support structure and becasue of the materials used, the inflated ring can be used as a  bathing platform and acts as a type of heat exchanger, keeping the water warmer than some pools with no additional heater (only by about 2.5 degrees but it is free and it helps).   You can also deflate them and store them for winter or take them with you if you move.

Speaking from experience of actually owning an Intex inflatable pool I think they are excellent for what they are. The only thing is you need to ensure you have a very flat but more importantly level ground to place them on. Everything came with mine which is a 5m circular (and yes its deep enough to swim in) pool except for the water and chemicals, they even give you a skimmer and cleaning brush. We have had it for 2 years and at 199 Euros in LeClerc I consider it was a bargain, I think they are 260 Euros these days but have a better filter system. One thing I worked out from having this small pool and the maintenance involved there is no way I would spend 20/30k on a pool these days unless it was used every day of the year. I liken them to boats, buying one is the cheapest bit then they start to cost both time and money.  If you want one that looks smarter there are ones that look like wood on the outside but its actually aluminium so you don't get the 'rotting' problem. I saw one this year in Mr Bricolage, it was about 1k Euros and had a 10 year warranty on everything except the liner.

Completely agree Quillan. This was our third summer with our Intex "cauldron" of the largest diameter and depth and we have been extremely pleased with it. Hopefully it will come out again next summer and has only cost us €30 to fill with the 14cubic metres needed and less than €50 to keep sparkling clean and healthy since beg May until Sept. We also bought a freestanding heater for it last year and this has helped keep it warm. It is great as you can swim very well in it as it comes right over my bust being 5'4" and for us,living right on the coast,having an expensive pool and all that entails is not worth the money,effort and time. We are toying with the idea of eventually getting an oblong wooden framed kit pool but like everything else,depends on the finances in the year to come especially if the recession hits us here in France.

I have to agree with Quillan as well.  They are excellent for what they are.   In ground pools supplied by Riviera (German manufacturer and beautiful pools) at 60,000 plus are excellent for what they are.   It is horses for courses and there is something out there for everyones budget.   Identify your needs first and work within your budget otherwise you could be disappointed instead of delighted.   Rest assured that Intex have a good reputation.   When they are poor it is when people expect too much for their money and specify such a pool for the wrong reasons.

I have an Intex pool which has 'wood effect' cladding around it which is actually plastic but it looks quite smart as a result and was easy to assemble. It did not start off well however. I didn't get round to laying the base for it for about 6 months after I bought it and when I started filling it I found that it had many 'pinhole' leaks in the bottom of the liner.

I contacted Intex who were very helpful. Initially they asked for photo's of the holes in the liner including some showing it leaking which was a bit of a performance to achieve but I managed it and sent them by email. They then asked me to cut out some of the pieces of the holed part of the liner and send them to them. On receipt of those they sent me a new liner which has been fine.

The only downside I have found to them is their pump/filter/ skimmer setup is totally inadequate for the size of pool and so I have replaced these, which then gives the problem of pipe connections, as intex use a different size to everyone else. I ended up making my own adaptors. Despite all this I still think they are good value for money and am very pleased with it.

cheminot

Cheminot

I think that you are a very tolerant client, and Intex is luck to have you.

What with the liner unservicable and an inadequate pool equipment (this is a well known phenomenon in France) and you are still a 'happy customer'.

I hope everyone wanting a new pool for next year is like you.

Andrew

All mass-produced items will inevitably have a few 'lemons' amongst them.

If I am unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of one I judge the worth of the supplier by the way I am treated when this becomes apparent. In the case of Intex I could not fault their after-sales service so, yes, I am happy with them.

The matter of the pump/filter arrangement is more subjective. Some people are quite content with the setup supplied with the pool. I was not, so I chose to replace it, but I regard the change as desirable rather than necessary and it benefits other suppliers of pool equipment when people like me choose to upgrade such items.

cheminot

• 3 months later...
Anyone know where in France I can buy an Intex Bare 1500 GPH Filter Pump Motor and Pump like THIS

The price in our local stores is excessive and I have not been able to find the bare pump here. It would be nice if I could find one for the price quoted on the American site!

Other alternatives would be considered as long as it is reasonably easy to convert the fittings.

Had both - inflatable lasted longer despite a couple of punctures from a low flying rose! (It's still up after 5 years - 175 euros well spent).  Take plenty of time to get the base as level as possible.   It's fine for what it is - older people find the steps tricky.