Opening the Pool

billy10

Hi Forum,

I am getting earache from the ayatulah to open the pool next week in time for my daughters visit, In my case it is not a lot of work and would mean topping up , switching on the heat pump which would heat the pool in about 4-5 days to around 27-28 degrees, getting the chemical balance right and bobs your uncle, My biggest fear is that it ios too early and I dont want to damage any of the fittings or pumps etc , my pool is 10 metres by 5 metres in ground, I live in the southern most part of the Indre  (dept36) close to La Chatre, what does the forum think is it a bit early as yet ???

Thanks

Billy10

we opened our 5th pool this morning! Non of them heated - people like to sit around them looking at nice clear water if the suns out. (or in one case use their new wet suit....) Unless it drops to about minus 10 or so, all should be OK now - just get the balance right.

Steve

[quote user="billy10"]Hi Forum,
                 I am getting earache from the ayatulah to open the pool next week in time for my daughters visit, In my case it is not a lot of work and would mean topping up , switching on the heat pump which would heat the pool in about 4-5 days to around 27-28 degrees,[/quote]

Well, think of it this way: 4 - 5 days of 7kw or so.  I can't do the sums, but if you were to wrap up and smoke a €20 note every time somebody goes in for a dip, you mightn't be far wide of the mark.

Someone will come in now and tell us that "With the temp at 18C at daytime and 7C overnight, it'll only be €8,45 per dip" ................. but you get my drift?

You would normally open a pool when the warer temp reaches 10°C for it is at that point that Algea can beginto grow and so you should start your filtration and sanitisation regime. This is a good time however to change the sand in the filter to Zeolite so that the season can run smoothly with exceptionally clear water and so much less useage of chlorine.

Andrew

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="billy10"]Hi Forum,
                 I am getting earache from the ayatulah to open the pool next week in time for my daughters visit, In my case it is not a lot of work and would mean topping up , switching on the heat pump which would heat the pool in about 4-5 days to around 27-28 degrees,[/quote]

Well, think of it this way: 4 - 5 days of 7kw or so.  I can't do the sums, but if you were to wrap up and smoke a €20 note every time somebody goes in for a dip, you mightn't be far wide of the mark.

Someone will come in now and tell us that "With the temp at 18C at daytime and 7C overnight, it'll only be €8,45 per dip" ................. but you get my drift?

[/quote]

The great thing about heat pumps is that they are very efficient in that they put out more than they take in.   As an example, there are heat pumps on the market that will draw 1.7kW and put out 8.1kW at an ambient air temperature of 15 degrees; at minus 2 they would put out 4.6kW.   There are models that will draw 3.8kW and put out 18.6kW.   Ambient air temperature is important as a heat pump uses the heat in the air and compresses it up to a higher temperature.   There are heat pumps on the market that will work down to minus 7 degrees but beware that there are a lot that will not work below  plus 7 degrees.