is a pool worth all the expense and bother?

odile

It depends on how much you like to swim/chill off in the water.  Our pool is used almost exclusively by me (and not my husband or two teenagers) so it's a bit of extravagance, but I do all the pool maintenance and it is 'my domain', and in this point of my life really appreciate having it.

A fantastic luxury and a necessity when it gets very hot.

Personally I wonder if it is really worth the time and cost.

It would be cheaper to drive to the swimming lake or river.

I wish the wifelet had allowed me to build a swimming pond.

a bit cold for wimps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I am mot a good swimmer but the docter said it is the best investment as you exercise all the limbs .

p.s. I am not -touch wood-ill or have had any disabilities and am now 71 years young.

My son said he would not visit me unless I built a pool.

I NOW HAVE ALL MY MONEY INVESTED IN A HOLE IN THE GROUND WHICH THE SO CALLED FINANCIAL EXPERTS CANNOT MAKE IT DISAPPEAR LIKE SOME INVESTMENTS IN THE PAST.

GO AHEAD YOU ARE ONLY ALIVE ONCE ,ODILE.

GOOD LUCK,[:)][8-|][B][I]

Thanks all - in the Jura with water at 6chf per cubic metre - it is a total no-no! fortunately we have plenty of clean lakes to swim in - so for this Summer (and a long time to wait until they get to 18C+!) - I will be donning flippers and swim for miles (hm sorry, kms) in local lakes, before deciding what to do. Enjoy yours xx Odile

We decided it wasn't - we just wouldn't use it enough to justify the installation cost and ongoing maintenance expense.  There are two good swimming pools within five minutes of the house plus

river and lake bathing (with water sports) if anyone suddenly has the urge to get athletic in the water.  When, in the past, we've stayed at places with a pool we've rarely used it - OH occasionally, me never.  On the other hand we would think about getting a hot-tub which would be less cost / hassle and would be more than sufficient to cool off in. 

As the person in our household that maintains, cleans, and uses our pool the most, and also the one dragged away from what I want to do to make sure the pool is usable by visitors, I have given it a lot of thought! I observe most people jump/dive in, swim a couple of lengths and then stand and chat (then get out, leave their towels and bits and pieces lying around), and my conclusion is, I'd rather have a hot tub. Smaller, easier, warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...