Skimmer problems.................

Unlike most pools, wrongly I believe, our pool has 3 skimmers on one line from the pump.  We now have a situation where the skimmer line does not seem to be functioning and there is no water movement in the skimmer units.

I think the skimmer line is full of air.. Can anyone suggest how to a) bleed the air out of the skimmer line or b) offer any other solutions to the problem?

Many thanks.

First, is there any water comming out of the jets and do you have a bottom return to the filter. If you have a bottom return try turning the valve for it off and that should suck any air from the skimmer pipe work. If you still have water comming from the jets then it must be comming via the skimmers, either one, 2 or all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John

Well yes the pump is working fine (new pump) and we have tried turning the bottom return off and I am afraid the skimmers still do not work.  We are convinced there is a blockage in the skimmers and now wondering how we are going to find it.  Oour pool room is quite a long way from the pool itself which does not help matters.  Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks

Rosebud, I asume you have primed the pump by filling the pre-filter chamber, usually by undoing the lid slightly.

Pumps can't draw air, I could be tempted to block two of the skimers and concentrate on one for the moment, once you have flow introduce the other ones one by one.

Hello teapot

Thanks for advice but "YES" I have done all of what you suggested!!!!!

Unlike most pools, wrongly I believe, our pool has 3 skimmers on one line from the pump.  We now have a situation where the skimmer line does not seem to be functioning and there is no water movement in the skimmer units.

I think the skimmer line is full of air.. Can anyone suggest how to a) bleed the air out of the skimmer line or b) offer any other solutions to the problem

You could try by blocking 2 of the skimmers and put a hose in the 3rd. Seal the hose in the skimmer by stuffing rags around it.

Leave the pump switched off and remove the prepump filter and replace the lid.

Make sure that other 2 are solidly blocked and turn the hose on full.

If there is a blockage in the return to the pump that could well shift it, but be carefull and if there is no water going into the prepump filter don't leave the hose turned on, it may just blow a joint if it isn't very good. The pressure will be higher than normal.

If there is a blockage and the water won't shift then a plumbers rotating rodder may well do the job?

Good luck![:D]

Thanks to all who helped us to try and sort out skimmer problems but unfortunately nothing worked.  We now need an "expert"and wonder if anyone can suggest someone who lives in the 47 area who is a Professional and knows everything there is to know about pools and CAN SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH.  We have asked so many people about the problems we are having and still no joy so we feel we have to try an expert.  Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help. 

Rosebud sorry to hear your still having trouble.

Does the system (pump, filter and return lines + positve pressure on the pressure gauge) function properly when you power it up using just the floor drain? if not is the pump running in the correct direction as it sounds like was replaced recently.

Whether there is one or more skimmers connected to the skimmer line does not make much difference its only a pipe.

If your system is working using the floor drain and you have a aquavac style machine that can blow, disconnect the skimmer line from the pump and blow each of the pipes clear with the vac (you will need to block off two of the skimmers and you will then know if there is a blockage. You should be able to do the same with a garden hose but it makes more mess than air.

If there is no blockage and no broken pipes underground then you should be able to re-connect and re-fill the the skimmers and pipe with a hose, providing there is a resonable amount of water in the skimmer pipes  and the pump pre-filter is full the system will pump.

Hi teapot

Thanks for that. As you intimated we only have one pipe with 3 skimmers attached to it. Therefore we can only blow through one pipe.  We have tried everything else apart from trying to blow air up the skimmer line.  Does that mean we have to disconnect the main pipe from the filter, close the main drain inlet, leave the skimmer valve open and then close 2 out of the 3 skimmers and check to see if any air comes out of the open skimmer port and then repeat if required for each skimmer?

Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking, it's up to you whether you blow the water out from the pump end or the skimmer end, not being on site it's your call just don't drown the vacuum.

The rest of the system is working ok?

• 3 weeks later...
Silly question but what is the water level in your pool?......if it is toward the top of the skimmer(s) and the floating wears are upright the skimmers will not work and leave lots of dead insects on the top of the water.although water will pass through the system and thus through the outlets.

[quote user="rosebud"]Thanks to all who helped us to try and sort out skimmer problems but unfortunately nothing worked.  We now need an "expert"and wonder if anyone can suggest someone who lives in the 47 area who is a Professional and knows everything there is to know about pools and CAN SPEAK GOOD ENGLISH.  We have asked so many people about the problems we are having and still no joy so we feel we have to try an expert.  Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help. [/quote]

I can help you if want.Pm me your contact details and I get back to you.

Andrew