Where is best to add chlorine in salt pool?

baypond

Hi all,

I'm sorry, but I wasn't very good at managing to carry out your instructions as the local pool companies didn't appear to have anything that tested for CYN, and I didn't shock the pool as when we arrived, the poolsquad SWG was coping well without use!

I did add four chlor long duration tablets in to the skimmers though as the first morning after use, chlorine levels were low again on the test strips. One good thing happened, and two bad. Firstly Chlorine levels were perfect, but PH fell out of bed to 6.3 and alkaline levels too (40)

Fortunately i got a pool maintainence guy to check the pool and SWG. He has re-calibrated the PH sensor on the pool squad so that PH rests at around 7.2/7.3. He also added another 25KG of salt which moved that figure up to around 5 (on whatever scale it is) and hey presto, chlorine production is excellent running at 60% of the SWG's capacity. He also told me that if I really needed to add chlorine in the future, then 'chlor 4 actions' would be better to avoid the PH and alkaline problems.

So, ultimately it seems the pool setup really does like a higher PH and higher salt concentration to work efficiently.

Thanks again for all the advice.

If the local pool companies can't measure CYA then give them a wide berth as far as getting advice goes as they will be effectively be going in blind.

Long duration gallets contain CYA and so do the chlor 4 actions so you will end up with a CYA that is too high if you do not test it yourself.