Pump motor overload protection switch

f1steveuk

I have an Espa Silen pool pump ESPA Silen Klixon Poland 3MP 1E

It's no bigger than your little finger nail, but it's the third pump I have had, and it's always this little switch that goes.

I've Googled it, and sent e mails to a couple of companies that list it, but none seem to what to even give me a price, let alone sell me some.

Anyone got any ideas, it has to be cheaper than a new pump, again!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I have an Espa Silen pool pump

, a ESPA Silen 100MM SP12 230v 50Hz 10884 to be accurate, and in the electrical connection box on top, is the connector, a condenser and a thermal protection switch, with following written on it

Klixon Poland 3MP 1E 16301

19F5T

It's no bigger than your little finger nail, but it's the third pump I have had, and it's always this little switch that goes. I've Googled it, and sent e mails to a couple of companies that list it, but none seem to what to even give me a price, let alone sell me some. Anyone got any ideas, it has to be cheaper than a new pump, again!

[/quote]

What is going on with the forum or is it my pc? A lot of gobbledegook until I did a quote then it turned back into sense again.

Back to your point, I have the details of the UK distributor for ESPA pumps if you need them.

• 4 months later...
Oh I will!!

The part number is 3MP 1E 16301

and I managed to track them down to a Dutch company, who offered to send me some "samples", they arrived from China. Five should out last the pump, rather than the other way around!!! No way of waterproofing them though!

[quote user="f1steveuk"]I asked it I could do that, got a five page tech spec sheet and the instruction "NO!!", although I cannot think why!
[/quote]

Because it senses temperature. If you bury it in silicone etc it won't.

It is, inside a very basic bi-mental switch, which has to be within a certain distance of the motor to ensure that it can switch the motor off, if it overheats, I didn't think silicon would insulate against heat to that extent, but as I say, as I have five now, I should be ok anyway!

If this switch is where I think it should be, inside the motor housing, then surely there should not be any water and if there is then the waterproofing of the switch is going to be the last of your worries?

If you do want it waterproofed then mount it and spray it with WD40?

Mine lives in a plastic junction box, on top of the motor, where the wires come in to be connected to the feed. This is set underground, right next to the pool, the lid being part of the decking, so when people get out, or dive in , the water can go through it to the workings below. I queried this with the local installer (it was in when we brought, so not the company that installed the pool), and they said it was fine/normal, although if it REALLY rains, and the pool over flows, guess where it goes!!!??

Coat it with some of this stuff http://www.electrolube.com/docs/conformalmain.asp?id=73 and you should be ok.

No idea where you can get it from - RS maybe?  We used to use it in the mob on aircraft circuitry to protect from the elements without taking away any functionality from the items protected..........we also used it on our boots - gives a mirror 'bulled' shine with minimum effort..........[B]