Honestly - is it really worth the hassle?

Swissie

Just wondering - would you have a pool again? Or is it just too much kerfaffle, hardwork and expense?

We have plenty of space away from trees to put one in - but I keep reading about all the troubles people are having, and thinking - NO!

Well, Swissie, I think I would.  I have had problems with mine from the day it was put in by the biggest rip-off artist in the SW.  All the errors were corrected and paid for by the original installers insurers and it was up and running, chrystal clear a couple of days before my daughter's wedding last year. The one lesson I have learned is that it pays to get recommendations from happy clients and if chemistry is not your strong point, pay someone competent to take care of it.

In any case, having a pool for visiting family with children keeps the 'I'm bored' team entertained!

Provided you can find someone to do it right who actually has a clue then it's not difficult at all. As you say it's a big outlay and certain parts are skimped on like a quality tester, without that it's guesswork and most pool shops haven't a clue except about separating you from you money in the quickest way possible [6] They don't want you to know what's what otherwise you wouldn't buy the products from them.

I have been asked to start a company in my locality so I can service the pools properly inc winterising and start ups as the other and sometimes large companies are incompetent but very expensive. I have to learn the most effective way of doing this micro bic or auto entrepreneur as the tax system will swallow me.

Although a pool was not a must have when house hunting since deciding to buying our modest 6m x 3m above ground jobbie and building some decking around it we'd never be without one now. I had no prior experience of pools whatsoever but I don't find it overly difficult to manage it. It turned green the first year but only because my OH (bless her) didn't follow the instructions I left her whilst I was away and I ended up refilling it simply because it was cheaper to do that then throw xx Euros worth of chemicals into it. That was the same time I threw away the useless cartridge filter/pump unit and installed a sand filter, best move ever - after buying the pool that is.

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/pool.jpg[/IMG]

Hello

I wouldn't have an in ground again, I like Ernie's and others I've seen above ground, a fraction of the cost which makes it a smaller investment for the amount of use you get.  There are a lot of cowboys installing and maintaining pools in France and I just think a DIY above ground saves all that! 

P x

Yes, in-ground ones have to be installed by people who really know what they are doing.  The concrete, for example, has to be a "continuous pour".

Then, if you want it tiled, you have to fill it up and leave it for several days to check for leaks, before emptying the pool and then doing the tiling.

Properly done, they do cost a lot of money.  I have my reservations about liners but, as I guess that many people in fact have liners and I don't want to tread on toes, I will not talk about those on here.

[quote user="Théière"]

I have been asked to start a company in my locality so I can service the pools properly inc winterising and start ups as the other and sometimes large companies are incompetent but very expensive. I have to learn the most effective way of doing this micro bic or auto entrepreneur as the tax system will swallow me.

[/quote]

Théière, if you've got a business with low overheads then autoentrepreneur (AE) is the best option, at least to start with. If you haven't seen it yet then read this

http://www.pbss-uk.com/AEGuide_March2009_EN.pdf

It's a very good translation of the government AE guide and tells you most of what you need. The good thing about AE is that you pay your dues monthly or quarterly based on your actual turnover, so it suits a seasonal business and doesn't require you to pay based on some default figure plucked out of thin air by a fonctionnaire. PM me if you want to know more.

That is a great looking and really economical set up Ernie [:)]

I especially like the way you have integrated the tree stump which would have caused you no end of grief to remove and thereafter, from the photograph you would never know that it is an above ground pool and I doubt that you would either when using it, lazing around it or having a barbecue.

Chapeau! [:D]

[quote user="Swissie"]Your English has certainly gone to pot W. BTW here in the Jura we drink Absinthe - and Pernod was invented here, on the Swiss side.

[/quote]

I always thought that absinthe makes the heart grow and grow and grow and become a very funny colour with both yer eyes on the same side of yer snout? and then sell for miwionz of quidz?

I have had frogs, toads, mole crickets and snakes in my pool but last week I found this creature in my pool.

[IMG]http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz152/wynkindeworde/V.jpg[/IMG]

I thought about shock chlorination, rhohipnol but the only thing that worked was apple sours.