stains on liner

mitsi

[quote user="Poolguy"]

Yes your right John

But As I've been attacked by one of the above posters for commercial activity on the forum I have agreed to restrict such messages to PM.

Its cumbersome and more time consuming for me as well, but hey at least 2 people out of the 000's on the forum aren't offended by this news which is of a commercial nature.

So thanks for your question John

I've PM'ed you

Andrew

[/quote]

Why not just suggest to those wanting to know that you can go to any pool shop in town & buy a water line cleaner. Various brands various prices. The orange/yellow stains can't be got off totally by anything you want to sell them or anybody else for that matter. It's unfortunate but fact. In that way you are offering your "vast" knowledge for free without the twist of a possible sale at the end. I repeat, I have no problem with you passing on your knowledge, its the trade off for a sale that IS against the code of conduct on this forum & of course the others you ply your trade on.

I wonder whether you would be interested in passing on your knowledge if there wasn't the chance of a sale at the end of it?

You have a website, which is the right place to trade, not here on a forum.

Steve

Stands back and waits for the bang!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Clair ... Different Clair! Do you want a PM, if so email or PM me

Steve

Your response is nothing to do with news I have.... but I don't suppose you care what it is.

Please don't lecture me .... it's unnecessary and you haven’t reach a position where that privilege might be afford to you.

Andrew

Steve (Charente Maritime),

If you have concerns about any member not complying with the forum code of conduct, do contact the moderators, but please do not hijack a thread to discuss your concerns.

You can email or PM the mods or bring a post to their attention by clicking on the Report button at the bottom-right-hand corner of the post which concerns you.

Forum moderators.

[quote user="steve"]PM me PM me please! I dont want to miss out on anything.....
Steve (D&S one)
[/quote]

Don't need to PM you steve (d&s one) as I'm glad to say that normal reception has been restored.

Basically, its the solution to a problem plaguing many people, particularly gite pool owners. The problem is that modern sun creams are saturated with a colouring agent that is absorbed very easily by the PVC liners, even more so if the protective varnish has been scrubbed off in previous attempts to clean the ugly brown/yellow waterline stain. I've searched exhaustivley, as have a few others to find solvents to clean this stain but all we can do is fade it a little, and the solvent is very nasty, certainly not something I'm happy with near pool water.

So stick on liner friezes are the best bet, but until now are a bit expensive and clumsy, hard to apply. Ceramic was the best of them but they too are a reasonable investment. But now, one of the liner manufacturers launched a new product which is easy enough for DIY.

Its self-adhesive liner frieze. I'm going to get some and give it a try to see if its so simple and report back. Thing is that it its only 85/100 whereas the others were 150/100 weight so this new stuff might be a bit too light to do the job, I just going to give it a try.

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Le Plombier"]

The Forum is here to help people, not to sell to them

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Quite right which is why people contact him by PM requesting help which may or may not involve him selling them something. This has already been explained and if you are unhappy then contact Forum Admin direct instead of making stupid and annoying comments in open forum.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Le Plombier"]

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Quite right which is why people contact him by PM requesting help which may or may not involve him selling them something. This has already been explained and if you are unhappy then contact Forum Admin direct instead of making stupid and annoying comments in open forum.

[/quote]

Well said Quillan. I totally agree with your comments.

Baz

what fun it would be to sit back and watch someone who has no idea about pools giving advice to someone who is in the 'mire' so to speak! Sometimes, its helpful to have pro's give advice for free - if a sale comes from it all well and good, if not, I dont see anyone complaining about it! Perhaps your opening word said it all, yawn

Steve

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

Boring

A couple of posts on the problems and hundreds of posts on PM's

What is the point

Doesen't say a lot for your business if you need the Forum for sales

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Has the record got a crack in it?[:(]

• 3 weeks later...
Back to the original posting.......

Stains on our liner are usually caused by lizards and even frogs that get into the pool during the winter, sadly fail to get out again, and their decomposing bodies leave a lizard or even frog shaped outline on the liner. Usually vanishes without effort on my part bt the end of the season...

• 1 month later...
We purchased a self adhesive freeze from a company in UK with great results. It can be ordered in quite a few designs - we chose a mosaic effect to hide any stains that may occur. It is 9 inches deep and comes in various packs and additional 2 foot lengths. We installed it before the beginning of this season and are delighted with the results. Although our guests are still using sun tan lotion and staining the freeze, it is not noticeable because of the mosaic design. It cost under £200 to do a 10 X 5 metre pool and was relatively easy to do . Only draw back, they do not deliver to France. PM us for details. We have no association with this company but are gite owners with the same problem as many others.

I am in favour of re-introducing the victorian bathing costume for people who insist they may catch cancer whilst swimming. After 3 days of scrubbing waterlines, in some cases it was so thick it could be removed by a fingernail.

Some more help from our tame polymer chemist Buckendave would be useful.

The problem is that the liners are made from plasticised PVC, i.e. PVC polymer with a compatible oily liquid that makes it soft and pliable, but is not easily extracted.  The plasticiser is compatible with the oil in suncream, and that has colourants added to it.  So, as oil floats on water there is a concentration at the water line.  Once its migrated into the PVC there is no way its all coming out.  All I can think of, to minimise the consequences, is to lower the water level and carefully clean around the stain line with a mild detergent, then rinse off with clean water - all the time keeping any detergent out of the pool.  I have a GRP pool and get the same orange brown line, but so far it has always cleaned off. 

However I have my problems too - earlier this year I moved the pool pump, filter, etc., from a horrible box in the ground into a pool house and had to cut the pipes so I could extend them.  All OK except sealing off the pool return - in the end I covered the cap in the pool with some thick PVC and held in place with a stainless steel jubilee clip.  Marvellous, it worked a treat, no leaks.  But a couple of months later when all the pool pump works, etc. were done, I removed the pool cover to remove the PVC and jubilee clip and found a brown iron stain up the side of the pool - not all the stainless clip was what it was supposed to be (not that stainless is completely anyway).  But how to get rid of the brown stain?  A lot of gentle rubbing with plastic pan scourers (using my feet!) has reduced it hugely, but what I'd really like to do is try a mild solution of oxalic acid on it - can't drain the pool though and don't want to risk contaminating the water, so I'll live with it.

Dave          

Waiting to hear back from Du Pont about the new coatings for PVC to hopefully reduce the staining issue (acrylic based) why is it alway green/brown? can we add something to make it blue?

Re your iron stain, try holding an ascorbic acid tablet on the stain to see if it reduces as you can't use the oxalic for now.

• 7 months later...
Message for Linda Proctor,

Could not reply directly to your email. The details can be found at:

http://poolstore.co.uk/product/bright-ideas/stick-on-tile-band

Hope this finds you.

• 2 months later...
Have just checked that last website - poolstore - and the stick-on frieze looks perfect.

Before I go ahead with ordering it I just wondered if anyone has come across any company selling it in France.

It would be simpler to buy here really.