No more Algae

Mongoo

Hi we have a nice pool in France and we are only able to visit every few months. We have someone check the pool and keep the chemistry in good order. But if it gets overlooked for whatever reason we had terrible green algae. To overcome this we bought a Floatron, then reduced Chlorine levels to just sanitise, as per the instructions. The Floatron does need a clean every week or so and a rinse under the tap, but what a difference. No more algae, and I mean none!! and much less chemical additions, the best thing we have bought for ages.

Paul

We cut a small cross in the floating cover and posted it through that. I made sure it was in a place that has some movement in the water when the pump came on. As long as the solar panel gets a bit of sun it seems ok. You get a test kit to check the ion level and ours is spot on.

Paul

If one cannot consistently maintain chlorine in their pool, there are alternatives other than metal ions (mostly copper, if one is talking about algae prevention) which, as noted, can stain (especially plaster and possibly fiberglass surfaces as well as turning blond hair green).  One can add PolyQuat 60 weekly or one can use 50 ppm Borates in the pool or can use a phosphate remover though these will only take the edge off of algae growth and not necessarily prevent it completely (a phosphate remover will not remove organic phosphates so its effectiveness varies depending on what's in the pool).  Of course, one can use an automatic chlorine injection system or a saltwater chlorine generator system.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst I am pleased to hear the Pool Rx works for you, with all copper products there are certain issues that should be noted. Never ever use copper products in a concrete/plaster/tile as staining is a real possibility. Staining blue/green has to be removed by acid washing so works out expensive.

Some claims made by Pool Rx are absolutely wrong:

"Q. CAN YOU COMPARE CHLORINE VERSUS PoolRx IN KILLING BACTERIA?

A. What takes chlorine 15 minutes to eliminate, like ecoli bacteria, PoolRx can kill these same bacteria in 15 seconds. PoolRx is over 1000 times more effective in killing bacteria than chlorine".

Absolute rubbish which is why chlorine is used world wide. In Australia, the rise in copper and variants worried the government so much that the government made every company selling this type of technology to submit their equipment before a laboratory where they were all tested against chlorine and it's scientifically proven results of killing bacteria etc. All failed so No licences were issued unless the copper and variant devices used chlorine too.

It takes copper around 45 minutes to kill compared with 15 minutes with chlorine for a 99% kill, why is that important? It is important because you need to be able to kill bacteria quicker than it can multiply otherwise the battle is lost.

Just as a word of warning, It came to my attention that there is a new importer for Ecomsmarte in France. The parent company filed for bankruptcy last year and there is plenty of evidence of just how bad these units are and how they do not work long term. Caveat emptor!  

Copper ions are definitely an algaecide so can be used as insurance in case the chlorine level gets too low.  It isn't necessary if proper chlorine levels relative to CYA levels are maintained, but it can prevent algae.  Since it can stain, there are other alternatives that can be used for insurance against algae growth such as 50 ppm Borates (usually from boric acid or a combination or Borax and acid) or weekly use of PolyQuat 60 algaecide.

As for copper kill times, I have posted details with references in [url=http://www.troublefreepool.com/converting-my-ecosmarte-system-to-chlorine-t24194.html#p205939]this post[/url].  Copper ions not only kill some bacteria slowly, but do not prevent uncontrolled bacterial growth for Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Enterococcus faecium (and probably Enterococcus faecalis as well) since these fecal bacteria are found in the G.I. tract where the body has normal blood serum copper ion levels of 0.8 to 1.1 ppm so the bacteria are able to well-tolerate such low copper ion levels.  Your use of chlorine will kill such bacteria quickly (99.9% kill in less than 1 minute).