pool and leaves

osie

It is coming up to that time of year again and pool and leaves comes to mind...

I have a pool without a cover and we are positioned amongst every imaginable tree.

Last year was spent in the bitter cold hovering up leaves, emptying the leaf collecter... repeat 20x until pool is okay.

I was wondering this year if I could put a plastic cover (one that stops birds eating the fruit in trees) over the pool.  It is very holey and so I would think the wind would not be a problem.  I would then have the robot underneath the netting just sorting out any small leaves and debris that get through.

Any thoughts before I give this a go?

Thanks

Osie

If you were to install a winter cover, this would prevent the majority of leaves entering the pool and it is easy to remove any leaves on the cover. These covers are not cheap but I would recommendit as a worth while investment to protect your pool. I very much doubt that a plastic cover would last after the first heavy rain, snow fall or a strong windy day.

Baz

A cover is in the region of 6000€ and it is only really needed for a month or so.  Therefore I dont think it is participially worth it.

I will put the pool to sleep around the end November when the frost comes...

I was looking for a cheap solution just for the next month when alot of leaves fall.  Once the skimmers are full, leaves start to sink to the bottom of the pool and there are too many for the hydraulic robot to cope with.  It is feasible but it means emptying the skimmers and leaf catcher every day.

I tend to keep the pool maintained until it starts to freeze and then do the winter maintenance.  Once it is winter the pool looks after itself.  The ice acts as a barrier and the water stays nice and blue with the addition of a few chloc tablets.

Yes, I anyone has a good idea for something to "catch" the leaves it would be very useful for us too, as we do not have a cover - funny shaped pool and nowhere to "peg" it -  so we do not winterise it - just keep it running all year ... always hoping the weather will be not too bad in this part of France, but we do get lots of leaves, which as you say, can clog up the filter if not dealt with every day

[quote user="osie"]A cover is in the region of 6000€ and it is only really needed for a month or so.

water stays nice and blue with the addition of a fevw chloc tablets>[/quote]

How big is this pool €6000!!

Using regular doses of javel will work just as well as Choc, is cheaper and wont increase the cyanuric acid level.

The pool is 11*6 but is an odd shape... I have not asked for a quote but looking at a few websites brought up a price around 6000.

Yep... javel is the way to go... I need to get my head around doing it that way...

I have found that a few tablets of chlor last all winter.... I have not understood why the tablets dissolve at such a slow rate during the winter.  I assume it is not because they know how much the pool needs so my assumption is that they dissolve less in colder conditions.  Can you please clarify?

Thanks

Osie

I just had a thought of putting some very thin plastic netting down so that it floats in the water, tied to the sides of the pool.

Would that cause problems with the water or would the plastic dissolve with the chlor in the water?

Okay... just found this for 150€... that might do it?

http://www.pixmania.com/fr/fr/8980788/art/noname/filet-de-protection-pour.html

or this one for about 700€

http://www.piscine-center.net/calcul-bache.php?id=undefined&piscine=C1&Dim1=1100&Dim2=600&Dim3=0&Dim4=0&Dim5=0&Dim6=0&Dim7=0&Dim8=0

• 4 weeks later...
Just a follow up that I ended up getting the cheaper of the two above and seems to be great... just about covers my pool and I have a hydraulic cleaner under it cleaning up any debris.

Set took about 10 minutes... just pulled it over the pool and held it down with a few paving stones and a couple of long nails.

btw: it say 6*12 but on receiving it it says that it is 10% smaller than that...

Osie