pool filtration

Frank

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been covered but I have done a search and not found the  answer (even googled!!)  I am thinking of changing my filter medium from sand to glass, but I have been unable to find the product name in French, (aside from verre) so I can have a shop round for prices etc.  Any help greatly received, many thanks

Jetlag 

Be careful, not all glass is the same. Crushed glass is sold by a lot of vendors these days which is a testament to the pursuits of one manufacturer only, although they do supply other wholesalers in the pool industry.

AFM ( Activated Filter Media) is the only glass filtration media you should consider using for two very simple reasons, One it's safe and doesn't contain any shards of glass from unspecified sources. Two it is the only glass product that has self sterilising properties so preventing bacteria from growing on it. Naturally it costs more than ordinary crushed glass but as you will probably never have to replace it worth the extra.  Reports from some installers who have used ordinary crushed glass is that it's lifespan is shorter than sand due to clumping and shards of glass have been ejected into the pool water basin.

AFM is produced using ISO standards from specially prepared glass, my advice, if you are not going to use AFM then don't change to glass at all keep to sand.