top on filter not coming off or tightening up

osie

Hi All

I have a slight problem that our local swimming pool guy could not resolve so I am posing the question to the brit community.

The problem is that I undid (the pressure screw) the lid of the filter for winter but was unable to get the lid off.  The lid was undone, and it moves freely left and right.  However for some unknown reason there is still suction in the filter and it is stopping the lid from coming off. 

I also removed the pressure gauge which sits on top of the lid and the valve at the bottom of the filter has been left open to remove the water since last November.

My problem is that the pressure screw(probably the wrong word for it) will no longer tighten so I can not turn the pump on.

If it helps, the pool shop changed the sand last year.

Cheers in advance

Osie

Osie, undoing the bleed vent on the lid (Lacron filter) only vents air from the internal return pipe and not really from the filter although if you could get the water level low enough it should help release the vacuum created by removing the bottom drain bung.  If you have removed the bottom drain bung it will create a vacuum inside the filter simply opening the multiport valve should allow air back in solving the vacuum problem.  It sounds like the vent is now damaged and will need replacing.

Thanks Teapot

I am still waiting on someone to come out to check this.. but I will get back to you as soon as someone does...

The supplier has suggested it is just stuck so I have my fingers crossed in the mean time.

The conclusion was that the guy came wacked it with a hammer lots of times and prised it off...

Sadly I need a new top but heh ho...

The saga continues as the water emptying screw came loose from the inside of the filter... Apparently I was twisting the wrong bit to empty the water for winterisation.  I have taken some of the sand out, found the screw from the inside, broke it, unscrewed it and now am off to find a new one before hopefully screwing the new one back on although my bet is that I will probably have some more agonising hours days before all is well again.

edit: It took 2 times to post this as at first the forum software thought I pressed the 'dont do anything button'