Pool Blanket

Gardian

In 2008, we bought one of those 'blankets' which are unrolled every evening on to the pool.  Blue plastic job, a bit like a monster piece of bubble -wrap.

Anyway, for the first couple of years, it fulfilled it's function really well - kept the water temperature up overnight and minimised heat loss. The problem was that the plastic decayed and we ended up with hundreds of tiny blue discs in the pool. Not good. Abandoned last Summer after barely 3 yrs of use.

We were told that "It happens - high temps + chlorine = decay".  Fine, but not after a couple of years & €300+!

There must be a better product. Any suggestions?

Whilst the chlorine does age plastics the concentration is very low <3ppm. The greatest aging is done by the sun's UV, depending on where you are but further south would obviously be worse.  Whilst the cover is on the pool it is kept relatively cool but once removed from the pool and rolled up it MUST be covered by as near UV block preferably slighlty reflective cover or it will age in a couple or years.

There is a new kid on the block, I have a piece of it right in front of me as I type. much better longevity (still best covered when on a roller) and a completely different shaped bubble has eliminated the weak corner of the bubble wrap type cover. The new shape also allows the bubble to expand and contract more easily without stressing the plastic.

Clear is best for solar gain.

The Geo Bubble

Theiere ...............

Sounds interesting.  Thanks.  I'm sure that you're right about the cause of our previous problem - we weren't always diligent about covering it during the day.

Any feel for cost?  Ours is an 8m x 4m pool with a sort-of semi circle at one end for the Roman steps.  Just a rough idea as to whether we're talking about €300, €500 or €1000.

Presumably any halfway decent dealer could source?

I'll go along with TP for the cover for the cover.

We bought ours 7 years back and every time it was off of the pool I covered it with a white plastic sheet. Eventually the white sheet gave up the ghost and I lashed out 16€ for some more. The blue bubble cover is still in good nick. It really does pay dividends to use a cover.