Magiline Salt Chlorinator

Visited our house in Dept 47 back in April and much to my annoyance the person entrusted to 'close' our Magiline salt water pool the previous winter had not put anything in the water to stop it from going green as soon as the temperature increased earlier this year.

Spent 10 days trying to clear the green water/ sludge from the pool after shocking it 4 - 5 times and cleaning the cartridge filter every 4 hours !!!

By the time we left I never wanted to see another pool !!

Anyway, got it back to somewhere near normal before we left & set up the auto ph doser & the salt water chlorinator thinking everything would be fine for our next trip in June.

Just had an email from the guy who keeps an eye on it to say it is now green again.

He has had a company out to see what the problem is and apparently the salt 'cell' is either not working or working intermittently

The pool is a 10 x 5 Magiline @ 68,000 litres & has their Ph auto dosing system and also their 'Sel' salt water electrolysis system.

Does any one know where I can get hold of a new 'Cell' for the system at a decent price or perhaps suggest an alternative way of keeping the pool crystal clear without using the system at all !!

Mind you the current 'cell' has lasted 6 years and has never been cleaned ( not a hard water area, so no calcium build up) so not a 'bad run' I suppose.

I have had one devi for 939.52 euros for a compatible replacement to include fitting and TVA but think this is expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reading your post, I am getting a picture of a pool without a winter cover?

Rest assured that Magiline, Desy and others do not have "their own" systems, just their own labels and prices!

Your run of 6 years is about right for the salt cell so now you need a replacement, yes there are replacement cells made for just about all the different systems available. My catalogues are back in the UK so I can't be much more help until next week.

As regard to other systems, reliable pool personage is the first priority unless you have internet access to control the system remotely via the computer.

Switching to direct dosing would still  require your pool person to buy chlorine and acid could they be relied upon?  If your pool is a vinyl lined pool the an ioniser could supplement your system as it will keep algae away but your concern over costs indicates that would probably not be an option.

Many thanks for your quick response Theiere.

The pool has a full 'low' Abrisud abri over it.

Shame you do not have access to your catalogues until next week as I know that if i get new cell plates from Magiline, they are likely to be expensive.

Perhaps, when you have your catalogues to hand, you could see if there is an alternative available instead of me going back to Magiline.

Reliable pool personage has been an issue for many years and we have been let down by more than a few people.

Perhaps I need to 'bite the bullett' and get a company to look after the pool on a contract basis rather than relying on people who think they know what they are doing and let us down !

Switching to direct dosing would be an option but to be honest we have had very few problems with the pool and it's current means of disinfecting apart from people not taking the right course of action in the first place to avoid such problems.

The pool has a vinyl liner and your comment about an ioniser supplementing the system is interesting.

What sort of costs are involved ?

If you could take a picture of your salt cell and a few dimensions I will try to find you a match next week.

Unfortunately ionisers don't come cheap either, there are cheap offerings around but more trouble than they are worth. The difference is in the control box, being able to reliably set the time for and the level of the ionising is really important in order to avoid problems such as staining.