Javel and HCL

osie

Hi

I was wondering... with galets and ph- I know you normally add the ph-, leave it for a few days, add gallets, leave for a few days and test.

What do you do with javel and HCL... Can I add the javel, have a cup a tea, add HCL, have a cup of tea and then test or does it take more time for the magic to happen.

Thanks

Osie

A couple of points,

With galets, they are already really acidic so you shouldn't need acid unless your water is out of balance, post some water figures?

Javel mixes with the pool water very quickly but it also depends on your pool water circulation my pool (no dead spots) it takes roughly 20mins to thoroughly mix.

The pool water should stay reasonably stable and the pH should only increase by a small amount after each normal addition and then as the chlorine gets used up return to roughly where the pH was so correctly balanced shouldn't require much if any acid addition but yes after a cuppa there shouldn't be a problem you are just trying to avoid making chlorine gas [:-))]

The ph is pretty stable but if anything it gets more alkali... never had it go more acidic by itself. 

I hardly use gallets these days(your recommendation ) but I will start using them as a booster just for July and Aug for peace of mind and to compensate for any laziness on my part.

I did not know why you should not mix them up but I do now... good to know and I will make sure it is a large cuppa in the future.

Cheers

teapot

[quote user="osie"]The ph is pretty stable but if anything it gets more alkali... never had it go more acidic by itself.  That is right pH rises with additions of chlorine as chlorine is very alkaline 

I hardly use gallets these days(your recommendation ) but I will start using them as a booster just for July and Aug for peace of mind and to compensate for any laziness on my part.

A boost to what? cyanuric acid, they are slow to dissolve so the javel will take care of it, all the boost you'll need.

I decommissioned a dosing station the other day so it's up for grabs for a sensible sum, computer controlled, what more could one wish for [I]

[/quote]

The boast is intended to add a bit of chlor as I add javel by hand at present... and the DASS will be coming soon.

Let me know the price of the javel doser as I imagine I will need one.. one of these days.

Cheers

Osie