Pool Insurance - what's covered?

Araucaria

I was a little surprised to find that our house insurance (from Allianz), and which has a specific extension for the swimming pool, covers damage to the pool only where it is caused by a specified list of events.

The list is fairly long and includes fire, floods, lightning, hail and snow, and the possibility of a car - other than our own - entering the pool. No doubt this must be reassuring for the local drivers. But what's not included is damage caused by any kind of animal, whether it's a pet, a wild animal, or sheep or cattle. As our pool has a security cover with bars, rather than a fence, the opportunities for this kind of damage are obviously increased. Particularly since we are surrounded by fields with cattle in them (and sometimes out of them), and woods with boar and deer.

Our agent says that this is normal, and we wouldn't get cover for animal damage from a different insurer.

Have other pool owners looked at their policy to see what's covered? I'd be interested to know if a change of company might give us more peace of mind.

My insurance is with Mutuelle de Poitiers and it also has an extension for the pool.  I don't appear to have any cover against damage from an animal (I admit I hadn't thought about it until I read your post).

I would guess that if damage was done by a domestic or farm animal, I – and probably you – would be able to recover damages from the owner or his insurer, assuming that he could be identified.  But if it was something like a wild boar, I think we would be out of luck.

I think ours is the same as far as animal damage is concerned.

Not really thought about it catching fire though [:-))]  I know that there was a programme on the Beeb a long time ago talking about fire insurance for the Channel? Can't remember what it was though, although, oh yes The Goon Show [blink]

[quote user="allanb"]My insurance is with Mutuelle de Poitiers and it also has an extension for the pool.  I don't appear to have any cover against damage from an animal (I admit I hadn't thought about it until I read your post).

I would guess that if damage was done by a domestic or farm animal, I – and probably you – would be able to recover damages from the owner or his insurer, assuming that he could be identified.  But if it was something like a wild boar, I think we would be out of luck.

[/quote]

Any problem with a wild boar "maybe" the same as for car insurance - they are bred for hunting so the "chasse" is responsible.

But good luck with trying to get that to stick