How hot can it go?

Gyn_Paul

I'm finally getting round to installing our oval above-ground pool. I

say 'above ground' but in fact it will be completely surrounded by

decking, practically to the height of the coping rail.

My wife

has a chronic spinal condition which responds to gentle exercise in warm

water, and - while I'll never be able to afford a proper hydrotherapy

pool - I'm sure she's likely to use this one more frequently - and

benefit from it - if the water is warm (say 33C?).

Heating it per se

is not an issue with a bloody great wood boiler the other side of the

barn wall, and since it's a new installation, I can site it on and clad

it with high density insulation panels to keep the losses down, and

obviously, the better the cover the less heat/evaporation losses.

My

questions concern the effect of a higher temp on the life of the liner,

and does it use up the chlorine faster at a higher temperature, or is

it simply the UV ?

There's probably some other insurmountable opportunity I'm missing....

A difficult question to answer as the quality and thickness of the liner would have to be taken into consideration. I have been advised that above 28C may considerably reduce the life of the average liner. If you are looking for temperatures in the 30s then a hot tub may be a better and less costly solution.

Baz

An easy question to answer [:)] thin above ground liners will be even more susceptible to over heating 28+ C so will loose the plasticiser quicker and become brittle sooner.  Higher temperatures also speed up chlorine reactions and cause greater evaporation, so a bit more of everything.

As you have specific needs you could if budget allows consider a different above ground pool that can take hotter water, easily up to another 20 deg C (50 deg C in total)

[quote user="Théière"]

An easy question to answer [:)] thin above ground liners will be even more susceptible to over heating 28+ C so will loose the plasticiser quicker and become brittle sooner.  Higher temperatures also speed up chlorine reactions and cause greater evaporation, so a bit more of everything.

As you have specific needs you could if budget allows consider a different above ground pool that can take hotter water, easily up to another 20 deg C (50 deg C in total)

[/quote]

Yes, if I were starting from ground zero I probably would go for a different pool (or at least investigate one with a thicker liner) but the kit is sitting in the barn - and has been now for some 4 years, during which time this back problem has sort of crept up on her - so we're stuck with it!

This brittleness and loss of flexibility: are we talking a couple of years? Or a couple of months?    In other words would we be likely to get a couple of seasons out of it while I research something more suitable?

A hot tub isn't a good alternative, as you can't really exercise in something that shallow: far more conducive to just sitting and wallowing !

p

[quote user="Théière"]

So we have had over 100 viewers to this thread, Ok the Mods will be checking I am not selling anything but who are the rest of you? 

A bit more support on the topic would be welcome as it's obviously of interest..........[blink]

[/quote]Some of us use the " Active " tag to see any new posts on the forum and then quickly view the thread to see what it's about. In my case I don't post unless I have some knowledge of the subject so that's why I haven't added anything to this thread.

Well I'm also a user of the Active tag, and I originally just clicked because it was an intriguing title.

I know 0 about swimming pools, and am never likely to need to.

I sometimes click on threads about homeless dogs, or the French health system, but it doesn't mean I am going to adopt/use them. It just gives life a bit of variety.

Angela

I look at swimming pool posts mainly cos we are changing our 7 yr old aboveground pool, at the front of the property, for an above (or in) ground pool on sloping ground at the rear.

We are considering a modern dense polystyrene block pool or a Zodiac Aztec 12 x 6 pool. Both, if not "professionally" installed, are similarly priced.

We are looking at efficient pumps, filters etc rather than the standard Zyke fare :)

All set to start the work from September.