Zodiac pool cleaner problem.

Our neighbour has reciently bought a Zodiac Super G+ pool cleaner and is having a bit of a problem with it. I installed it for her and it was working fine. Chugging its way around the pool and doing a good job. She took it ut of the pool and made sure that it was stored out of the sun in her garage.

I had a call from her this afternoon to say that it wasn't working. I went round and adjusted the pressure to it from the cleaner hose socket by partly shutting the bottom pump return valve. When I went back to the pool I thought that it didn't correct?

It was then that I realised the thing was going backwards! When I first installed it it went forwards.

I had a look in the book, because I had checked it to see if there was anything obvious, and there is no fault given about going backwards. The main thing is that going backwards towards a corner the hose pushes against the wall and tips it onto its nose and it then doesn't clean anything. Any ideas as to why this has happened please???

Another thing happened was that the leaf trap/strainer occasionally pops its bottom out of the water by going upside down and it drags air in. This puts so much air in the system that it almost empties the pump. If it were left for very long it would destroy the pump! No information on that in the book either?

I have no experience with this type of cleaned as I have a Dolphin 2000 electric jobbie.

Mine goes in all directions and it does not tip over and if for any reason it is upside down it sorts itself out with the ring.

The leaf collector can be sorted by purging it of air before putting it in the water.  There are also some white plastic weights that you can clip on near to it to help it remain submerged.

btw: I have removed the leaf collector as 1) it broke :-( but also because I dont have leaves at the moment any way.

Unfortunately this pool is surrounded by HUGE pines!! so the leaf collector is needed. Ta for the heads up on the weights for it. I will pass that on.

The problem with it going backwards is that when it gets near a corner the hose pushes against the wall and lifts it so that it isn't flat and it doesn't pick up properly.

I'll stick with me Dolphin [:D] Just chuck it in a forget it for 6 hours then wash the bag out.

I like my zodiac as I can leave it in the pool and it does the job for free... The electric is great but it is painstaking taking it in and out all the time.  I use the electric(it has a manual option too) once in a while to do a good job and I use it permanently in the summer.

For the corner bits, I just brush them to the middle to give the zodiac a bit of a hand.

You can also take a few of the tubes off.. that would reduce the bend and maybe lessen the force.  Or maybe put one of the weights near to the sucker to try to keep it down.

Also, I have mine connected in the middle of the pool to the aspirator hole, rather than the skimmer... That might help too.