What has gone on (swimming pool)

Bugsy

My 6.5 metre round above-ground pool has been perfect this year. Crystal clear and chemically pretty-much spot on.

Removed the cover two days ago and it has turned a brilliant bright green, literally overnight.

I've tried a choc treatment and anti-algae treatment and it hasn't made the slightest difference.

Interestingly, my neighbours pool has done almost exactly the same, weird or what !!!

My only thought is that the massive combining going on all around us has, in some way affected it.

Any advice welcome.

Isn't this something to do with outside temperature and algae development? We don't have a pool but I've heard other people talk about sudden overnight "green-ups". I'm sure the experts will be along shortly.

Bugsy, we usually get 2 algae blooms each year, one in spring and the other in early August and others reported to me that this year it arrived about two weeks early, not for you with a cover on though but you took the cover off and overnight, green. Actually that's quite slow usually turns in a couple of hours.

With a cover on I wouldn't have expected the combining to allow the dirt etc into the pool.

Chemically pretty-much spot on, NOT or it wouldn't have gone green.  You may well have had a nascent algae which you couldn't see and you introduced the magic daylight and algae showed itself.

Roughly 40m3 what are the water figures pH, chlor free, chlor total, CYA, alk and are you using galets or eau de javel?  how are you testing the water?

Same old questions I'm afraid because the message doesn't change.

Living in the midst of a working farm, my pool is at the daily mercy of farming"stuff" and the constant dust from 14-year-olds playing at being Louis Hamilton in tractors and diggers. Nevertheless my algae seems to behave in much the way Theiere describes. This year's has been and gone, dismissed quickly with a few glugs of Javel (in the pool, not my drink of choice) but I can usually see it coming, as a quick look out of the bedroom window shows me whether the colour of the water is "turning" and allows me to catch it quickly.

I wish my eyesight and colour recognition was as reliable when using test solutions to measure the chlor and stuff, because I usually end up using several different test kits. To ensure that what I see is what I think I see.

Well it's the 3rd email/post from people today suffering from the "green"  Decent testers are worth their money as it saves the hassle and expense of chemicals if as you say you can spot these things. Some of these "cheap testers" really are hard to fathom the colours, customers show me their testers and I look hard and still can't work out what I am actually supposed to be reading.

There are colour matching test kits that actually work, I still have mine in case I turn up and batteries have gone flat, that is again not cheap but at least I can read the correct colour depth from the wheel.

[quote user="Théière"]

Well it's the 3rd email/post from people today suffering from the "green"  Decent testers are worth their money as it saves the hassle and expense of chemicals if as you say you can spot these things. Some of these "cheap testers" really are hard to fathom the colours, customers show me their testers and I look hard and still can't work out what I am actually supposed to be reading.

There are colour matching test kits that actually work, I still have mine in case I turn up and batteries have gone flat, that is again not cheap but at least I can read the correct colour depth from the wheel.

[/quote]

Can you recommend a decent test kit please?

There was a tread on a totally different forum that claimed that Algae bloom was also induced by thunder and lightning , but could the Donner und blitzen be a symptom for hot weather and increased pool use, no of days without a cover and increased UV?

Mind you the chap had a thousand and one scientific reasons why the lightning was causing the problem. All down to Ozone, Excess nitrates caused by the lightning etc seemed plausible but you know me easily confused :-)

The composition of air is 78% nitrogen 21% oxygen 1% other.  with lightning it can cause nitrogen to combine with water into nitrates and ammonia both of which can be food for living organisms and cause depletion of chlorine deposits in pools so auto dosing systems be they salt or direct will be ok if they are on but other manual methods are not so good if you don't add more chlorine following a rainstorm.

The algae blooms are a direct result of too little chlorine everything else is a side issue.