Pool temperature for guests?

pigsteve

Are you on site, or far away? I only ask, because we on e, when letting our property, had a phone call from guests to advise that our pool had "gone green". When our pool people went round, they found that the guests had racked up the temp to over 30 degrees and the combo of that plus them using the pool a lot had given us the worst algae problem we have ever had.

My pool is at about 27 right now and it feels a bit fresh when I first get in, but it's not supposed to feel like a warm bath.

The Red Sea tended to be about 28 when I used to dive there, and that's a lovely comfortable temp for scuba diving.

Sometimes, people just complain for the sake of complaining. IMO.

Thanks for the reply! I was there myself last week and the pool was the same temp and it was perfect? I think It always will feel cool initially when its so hot outside, but it was fine after the first few seconds? They cant change the temperature themselves so hopefully wont have that problem, just wondered what other people thought was a reasonable temp!

If renting I think most guests will expect 28-29 C, as that is around the ambient high air temperature this time of year and from my experience most hotels heat their pools at this sort of temp. At the moment my pool is 29C without the heating on or a pool cover at night. 

- retread -

Agree with you that 27 is lovely (28 is better);  26 is refreshing and 25/24 is refreshingly cool;  anything less is very very refreshingly cool ouch ouch ouch...

But in fairness to the Brits when they come out here to lovely France they expect the sunshine and high temperatures - but don't realise that pool temps are likely to feel coolish because between 26 to 28 it is far more refreshing than too warm.  Any warmer and the pool would be same temp as the air temp - and you don't get that lovely cooling contrast.

Your comment about 'happy to splash around at 16' - but that's the difference isn't it ?   Happy to splash, get their toes cold, and legs blue - but they are not swimming in the sea - and that is what they will be using a swim pool for here in France for more than 2 minutes at a time.    So there is a subtle difference.

Agree about the 'some people will complain whatever' comments though.  

Chessie

• 4 months later...
made me laugh, yes 28 to 29C is just fine and about the average here for pool temperatures....i'd avoid a pool system where the clients can tamper with the settings...i've seen a few pools go green thanks to over enthusiastic renters, one family even got a hose from the hot tap and put it in the pool - of course, they simply emptied the hot water tank!!!! And lost part of their deposit....

The place we use in Austria has an indoor communal swimming-pool which is kept at 28C. Ditto the one we use in the UK. The communal open-air one in the residence in France opens usually at about 18C and if it gets beyond 28C it really starts feeling like soup and loses its "nice, cooling, refreshing" nature.

I agree Pickles, it's the refreshing element that is needed in France against the heat of the days (in summer at least) but above 26 for comfort although it's a personal thing.  So many enquiries from Brit holiday makers who only holiday where a heated pool is provided and they are booking in August!  It doesn't matter that no one will have their heater on in August they must have the heater.  Generally liner pools shouldn't go above 30 and ceramics being brilliant conductors of heat would be difficult to maintain at that level unless constructed to do so with insulated walls and floor and a good cover. 

As to guests being able to touch the pool equipment, this should be a no, no.  They cannot possibly understand or care if the pool goes green for the next guests let alone the chance of setting a valve in the incorrect position and burning out a pump.  I don't mind too much as it's the panic emergency calls where I can earn my money.

lol...yes, know where you are coming from. But trying to put hot water into a pool from the house, that takes the biscuit. I'll admit that some pools i've seen, early on in the season, have been a tad on the chilly side...around 20C. You really can do a lot by covering the pool at night, which means getting a pool man in everyday (nice!!! :-). I know some Auzzies near to Montpellier who asked clients to manually cover the pool every night, you can guess what happened there!!

Our guests were asked to cover the pool when they had finished during the drought and we had no issues apart from someone seeing the pool roller and believing themselves to be Nadia Comaneci! When you explain it's for their own comfort most don't mind unless they are too drunk to attempt it at the time