Green pool

Buzby

I am sure many of you will have encountered this problem, the dreaded "Green Pool" syndrome, in my case caused by lack of maintenance during the winter. In the past I have managed to sort it by a massive dose of choc chlor, but not this time; in fact the colour is almost black.

So, I am at the point of draining it. I am aware that this could well result in detaching the liner, but that needs replacing anyway since it is about 15 years old. The problem is finding someone to do the work; this is a bad time of year to ask since they're all very busy on maintenance contracts; for the time being I have to live with it.

I have been warned that draining the pool could well result in the concrete walls bulging or even collapsing. That seems a little unlikely to me, but I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has experience of draining their pool, or from an expert who knows exactly how to deal with a problem of this sort.

I live near Tarbes in department 65.

Hi Buzby, I have encountered it many times as that is how I earn a living but I won't fill your head with frightening stories, I'll just give it to you straight.

If the water is black, you'll probably save time and money draining it and refilling it.  If you empty it completely the liner can move so leaving an inch or two of water can be enough to keep it in place. Your unlikely to suffer any movement of walls etc if you are carrying out the work quickly. Leaving it empty for weeks would be bad, a day not bad. If it did collapse then, it would have anyway.

For more information pop back later but once refilled get your chlorine in there soonest.