'Tide Mark' around swimming pool

bertie

Eillen, a little difficult to advise as you do not state which products you have tried. All marks should be easily removed by using a good Liner cleaner as they are specifically formulated to remove oil and grease deposits from pools. I would advice against using any other products as they could easily damage your liner.

Baz

I have the same problem, I have used all the Desjoyaux products, the powder and gel, spent hours scrubbing, and no difference! There are some particularly thick suncreams that people use for their kids, that seem impossible to remove. Ours is a new liner and it looks horrible now so if anyone has any advice on other products that won't harm the liner, I'd be very grateful.

I am not surprised your liner look horrible using any powder sounds far too harsh. I would suggest that you try to look for a Tile & Liner Cleaner that Contains Phosphoric Acid and Isopropanol which has been formulated to remove oil and grease deposits from pools. These type of cleaners  I use very successfully  on my liner pool in the UK and there must be the French equivalent.

Baz

Washing up liquid and a scrub very gently with the rough side of those green and yellow washing up sponges always works well for me. Apply liquid neat onto sponge, even shifts the dreaded sun tan lotion.

Jan

Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried everything, but there is still a faint yellow tide mark left! It must have been a particularly high factor. I wish I could ban guests from putting it on before swimming, but of course its not possible. I will try the Karcher on it as a last resort.

• 2 weeks later...

My heart is now sinking. Our pool has been open since the beginning of June yet in just one week of guests with children this dreaded tide mark has appeared.  I was desperatley hoping that the pool liner cleaner I've bought will do the trick.

Has anyone sucessfully banned the use of suncream before swimming?  Personally, I would prefer to pay for tee shrits for my guests to use when swimming rather than have to scrub the scum off the pool on a weekly basis. (But then I'm a bit lazy! :blush

I've nowspent hours scrubbing and tried everything suggested on this forum, plus bleach and brillo pads, nothing has worked (not washing up liquid or shampoo I'm afraid). However, any fresh stain is easily removed with the normal pool cleaning products. I wish I knew what brand had caused the problem. I too would love to ban the stuff, it has runied my lovely and expensive new liner which has only been in since April.

Has anyone any other ideas of what might work? I'm tempted to use liquid chlorine, I would rather have a white mark than that awful sickly yellow colour.

The only thing is that the guests haven't commented on it, when I apologised about it being there , they said they hadn't even noticed it.

Would having a shower that guests have to use before getting in the pool have any effect on reducung the greasy tidemark?

• 2 months later...

After a lot of searching I have found a solution to this problem which appears to work very well. Its 95% bio degradable and is very easy to use.

Spray on, leave for a minute and wipe of. No bubbles or detergents in the pool water.

PM me if you want details

Andrew

• 10 years later...
Hi Andrew,

Can you tell me of your solution for this? I cannot work out how to PM you via my mobile on this forum.

We have had stains on our liner of our Desjoyaux Pool for a number of years and never worked out how to remove them. All the usual products fail.

Thanks

Ben

Hello Benjiee,  The chances are and certainly after this length of time that the marks are permanent.

You could as I suspect Andrews solution was apply a patterned self adhesive border to the liner to cover it up. These are made with a very good coating that is harder to stain but best practice is to avoid sun creams that are known to cause issue like Riemann P20 and the factor 50's.

I tested Abre solaire dry mist this year on old samples of liner material and that doesn't seem to be one of the staining ones if products must be used, it being a dry mist isn't disgusting oily gloop like some of the others and is reported to be waterproof.

Yes Chessie using washing up liquid messes up the surface tension of the water, makes water wetter as they say and flushes out all manner of nasty stuff from the filter, could take a lot of chlorine to burn out the washing up liquid too.

Vinegar is a fairly strong acid and could damage the liner.  The issue was highlighted on here a few years ago with a polymer chemist. The ingredients of some sun cremes are very similar to the chemicals used in the liners so the chemical bond is permanent as is the staining.