Above ground pool

We've seen several Intex pools in the supermarket but there is no-one around to ask anything e.g. the difference between the shapes and sizes, wood look or not.

The land is sloping so we'll have to dig out a flat area, possibly put decking above to make it easier to get into. (Son's partner has back trouble.) Does anyone have any helpful advice on which sort of pool to choose/avoid? We aren''t looking at the inflatable type ones.

One very important point to consider is this;  the pump and filter system won't be up to much.   If you have a good size pool then you really will need to buy a separate pump and filter combo, and use Zeolite (similar) rather than sand.  

The Intex pumps are not really effective at keeping the water crystal clear, and you can drive yourself mad having to keep throwing chlorine in it.  (I don't know about the salt Intex pools).

A more powerful pump, and a decent siezed filter will keep the water much cleaner, without using too much in the way of chemicals.

I've not had a problem keeping the pool clear with the supplied pump and sand filter - but you do need a pool with the sand filter and not the smaller ones which only have a cartridge filter. I will admit that we did not use the sand quality suggested by Intex and took the advice from a local pool equipment supplier. Or maybe the quality of our water is better than yours Chessie.

Setting the pool on sloping land - which is how ours is installed.

Dig out to make the land flat, BUT don't use the earth dug out to level off the other half of the area to be covered. You will not be able to consolidate the loose earth enough unless you have access to something like a Wacker plate.

Make sure the area where the pool is to be installed can take the weight - depending on the size of the pool you could be putting up to 50 ton water into it. So not too close to the fosse, underground pipes or terracing.

If you put decking around then strictly speaking your pool is no longer above ground and then becomes subject to all of the regulations regarding safety - gated area, pool alarm etc. You might want to avoid that.

Setting your pool on freshly dug earth may mean you will need several layers of thick fleece* between the earth and the bottom of the pool in order to stop sharp bits of rock puncturing the base. Our soil is particularly stony and sandy (very sharp sand). Every year I have to clear off the surface of the stones that have migrated to the top as well as a couple of bucket loads of sharp sand.

WE have 3 layers of special fleece for placing under the pool plus a woven tarp closest to the ground. Nevertheless over the years I have had to make a few minor repairs due to punctures/abrasion.

Not all of the Intex types have surface skimmers, some just use a tube connected on the side. all dirt enters from the surface so that is the best place to remove it.  As said earlier avoid the cartridge filters and go for a sand filter these are just about adequate providing the water is treated with chlorine. If you forget and it gets messy it takes a bit of time to get it back.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Would like just like to jump in on this thread if I can...

How much does it cost to buy and install an above ground poo ?. [/quote]

I'll lend you my neighbours dogs if you like

Plenty of above ground poo for everyone and for free [+o(]

It's not the same but I like it when someone asks for a below ground pool rather than an in the ground pool.

ALBF, with the in ground you have to obtain some form of permission and a small increase in your tax. Cost wise a wooden structured pool with a liner depending on size could be €4,600 to €6,400.  Bearing in mind no excavation and removal of soil the cost would be lower. In ground may require concrete and a terrace whereas wooden above ground may need decking and extras.  You would be unlikely to see any change out of €10,000 for an in ground pool unless you use one of the cheaper panel kit pools. Then of course the price can go up to around €35,000-€40,000 for a full in ground pool.

• 11 months later...
Thanks for helpful advice. We got our above ground round pool set up at the end of last summer. We had to get someone to dig out a flat area because our land is sloping, then covered it with sand before putting the pool together. Unfortunately we left it late to dismantle the pool and it got damaged in strong winds. This year we a friend welded the damaged bit of frame and we are up and running. The cover supplied is lightweight and has no chance with the winds here. A bit of a nuisance that there was a tree with blossom not far away!

I read in The Connexion that if you make alterations to the land for an above ground pool, you may be taxed on it. We were hoping to have a wall built to stop the soil behind crumbling, and possibly some decking on a level with the top of the pool, as our son in law would not manage the rickety ladder to get into the pool. Wondering now!