CPAM - Proof of residence

I assume that you had your letter from the UK saying your entitlement ran out.  Did you immediately piggy-back onto you o/h then?  If so, then you got good advice - because now your free entitlement will run until his expires.  If your advisor had made you independent of him - then you would have contributed 8 % of your RFR immediately, and been worse off. At the time of course, there was absolutely no question that the two of you could begin to contribute once his E106 had run out.

If the UK authorities grant your o/h an E121, then his entitlement to healthcare here, paid for by the UK, will be unaffected and as his dependent, you can piggy-back on to him.  But the granting of the E121 is up to the British authorities, and you should speak to Newcastle.

Your final question will be answered once we have a difinitive answer as to whom the new rules apply to.  If it's for all newcomers to France from 30th September, you'll both be fine.  If it's retrospective, and applies to all those currently here but on E106's, then you will lose out; if your o/h is entitled to an E121, you will not.

But the advice was certainly to your best benefit, so far as the CPAM staff knew then, at the time.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as I got the letter, we went to the CPAM where they took my CV away.  OH filled out a form and a couple of weeks later, I got a new CV.  However, I've had to see the doc a couple of times since then and subsequent mail has been addressed to OH even though the letters referred to me.

When OH's CV runs out, do we still have to apply to CMU.  OH still has another 9 years before he's a pensioner (bless), so I doubt UK will grant him an E121.  However, because he is still on Incapacity Benefit because of work related stress illness, there may be a chance his E106 may be extended providing the UK are happy to continue with the IB.

Firstly wait and see what the outcome of this latest ruling is. Once that is really clear you will be able to investigate your options.  I was reading something this afternoon which said the E106 was rarely extended but could be, however if your husband cannot work because of health issues perhaps he should at least investigate the chances of an E121.

No point in worrying yet, there may not be anything to worry about. ( I know, its easy to say, but not so easy to do!)

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me !

My feeling exactly.  Not to worry about it.  However, OH does.  It is also very important for me to have medical security in France because of my BH.  Someone suggested to me that I might be able to register as "disabled" because of it, but although I'm a bit slow in some respects, I wouldn't consider myself disabled.

It seems that if I was registered as disabled, I would get cover, but I would not be happy about that.  It was suggested that if I did the apple picking (in the Limousin), I would be able to "get into the system", but friends who have done have said it is very heavy work and I would not be able to do that for fear of my artery rupturing again.  As my French is nowhere near good enough, an office job is out of the question.

My handwriting is dreadful since the BH, but typing seems to come naturally.  What I would really love to do is manuscripts for authors, but that is really difficult work to find since everyone has computers now and knows how to type, albeit with two fingers.  LOL

As many of us said on the "Scruples" thread - if you find you're entitled to something, then claim it.  Wait and see what happens, but if you look as though you might lose out and can get in by another means - give it a go!  We pay all our lives for just this sort of thing.  Hopefully, nobody resents supporting those in real need.

"Wait and see" is tough, I know, but good advice nonetheless.  Don't Panic!!!

I would be all for claiming benefit that was entitled, but I'm not sure that I would be doing the right thing.  I alway felt that "disabled" was someone who was clinically defined that way, but I'm not.

I was lucky enough to be the one in ten that survived a BH, so many do not (Anita Roddick is an example). 

However, I guess the only way I will find out is if I go and enquire and see if I am eligible.  Apart from spending ** years as a secretary or administrator, I am unable to do physical work, but because my French is (very) limited I could not seek employment doing what I am used to doing.  Mind you, since the BH my organisational skills have gone to pot as some days I just cannot think properly.  I get massive headaches every so often and therefore would not be an ideal employee if I had to go and lie down for half an hour while they sorted themselves out.

• 1 month later...

Way back in the mists of time, when I started this thread, I had been asked for documentation from my CPAM to prove residency, tax payments etc.  On 3rd September (I know this, 'cos it says so on this thread), I took said paperwork into my CPAM and had heard nothing about my renewal of rights.

I assumed that, as many others had yet to hear, that the delay was because of all the changes.  Then, lo and behold, this morning, what do I get but a letter from our CPAM asking me where my documents have got to, saying they haven't received them, and threatening us with withdrawal of cover (on the grounds of unreceived documentation - not the fact that I'm British!)

I assumed this was an admin' problem, and that they had lost my stuff (and of course, it's arrived on a Saturday, so I can't phone them). However, on visiting another forum, I see that this has happened to several other people today, in different parts of France.  Anybody on here go such a letter, in spite of having provided the documents?

Its a conspiracy

I received a similar letter today as well,in spite of the fact I handed in my paperwork personally to CPAM

I recon they posted these letters out knowing that we would get them on Saturday and then spend all weekend worrying

When we all phone up on Monday they will say it is a mistake

They will then have a good laugh having wound up the Britaniques again

Is their any relevance that England beat France at the Rugby

Similar thing happened two years running with us at the Hotel des Impots.  Received a letter telling us they hadn't received our forms and this year when we went to try and sort it out, spotted this year's form along with last years (which they also said they hadn't received) in the folder.   OH took him to task on this and all we got was the "shrug" and no apology.

I'd say this is a case of the computers being primed to produce the letters and the letters were duly sent regardless of whether the original batch of paperwork had been processed. We've had one too - unsigned - and so have quite a few people on Total.France.

I could (of course) be wrong but I think in the UK the letter would have had a final sentence along the lines of: If however you have sent your paperwork already, please ignore this reminder. [;-)] We will take the letter into our local office and check that they do have all they need but I'm not imagining anything devious or dubious from the fact we've had this letter. Other than normal inter-office inefficiency... which is an international disease. [:D]

Yes, I tend to agree, although I've just had a mad panic photocopying everything in sight. The letter originated in Marseille, not locally. We  did receive a similar letter last year and when husband went into the cpam they just tore up the letter with a 'pouf' and shrug of the shoulders

Glad to see that we are not the only ones to receive the same letter.  Yes also received on saturday. We will go down again, just the third time with all of the documents.

Clearly someone should tell wifeless Sarko, where he can find lots of health savings.

ams

Yes Cooperlola I got mine today.  I thought it was just me too What is going on?

I emailed CPAM this aftenoon to confirm that I sent them well in time, but as I have pre printed labels to URSSAF and CPAM, I thought I might have sent the documents to the URSSAF in error.  Having seen your post, perhaps not!!

I think this turn of events is possibly significant.  I cannot believe that it is coincidence that we are getting letters saying CPAMs have not received stuff we have sent to them on time. Anyone receiving this letter should post so that we can see the scale of it.  It smells to me!

Chris

Graham & Brenda wrote "]Same here. Posted my documents on 3 September and received the reminder letter yesterday"

and me also...........and this happened last year with the tax advice copy which I had actually taken in and had copied in the CPAM office.

When queried they said that they actually had the document and that the letter was an error.  The scale of the letters issued to people this year is either gross incompetence, a computer error (rubbish in = rubbish out) or a cunning plan by the CPAM staff to make more work for themselves.[Www]

The joke is that people I know that did not send in their proof of residence  have not got a letter[8-)]

Just a suggestion - do you think it is possible that they HAVE received your paperwork, but are waiting for guidance from "them that be" on how to deal with it, considering the new regulations.  Maybe the letters being sent out are a form of "holding"  letter until they are advised on the way forward.  This is a very frustrating way of dealing with the situation, I know, but this is how the tax office dealt with us.  Sent us letters saying they had not received the information when what they should have said was "we have received your tax form, but we require X information to confirm your residency in France".

Having said that, it does sound a little inefficient on their behalf, but it does seem to me that even these officials don't have any idea what is going on and have not been advised properly by their superiors.

Because of the situation we had at the tax office, I now keep a dossier of copies of everything sent and if possible, ask for a receipt.  Keep that in the dossier as well and if any problems arise, take that dossier down to the local office and present them with it and ask for clarification as to why you have been sent that letter.

Well, there seems to be  'something going on' and I agreee that it is a common ploy to deny receipt when stuff gets lost in a 'system'!  As I have said, I emailed CPAM yesterday and I shall ring on Monday.  In case you can pick out any commonality that helps you, as it happens while all this is going on, we are in the process of registering my wife's E121 and my 'ayant droit' from that, as I am not yet 65. Before I received 'The letter' yesterday I had also received a letter from the CPAM stating that my affiliation to the CMU had been cancelled as I shall be 'ayant droit' with effect from 1 Nov.  I have also received a letter from URSSAF stating that from information received, my affiliation to the CMU is cancelled with effect from 30 Sep, and that no more cotisations will be demanded. (Incidentally, my CV still worked as of last Thursday). These letters made sense to me as lining everything up to be 'ayant droit' to my wife's new position in the CMU as an E121 holder, with effect from 1 Nov.  The next step I was told by CPAM was that she will receive a letter asking her to forward photos for a new Carte Vitale Mk2.  We await that with great anticipation., but in the meantime as a result of 'The letter', I shall just have a little chat with CPAM Angouleme to confirm that all is proceeding as expected and ask what 'The letter' is all about!!

Chris

Does anyone think it is worth writing to Mary Honeyball MEP regarding this issue.  I know that she is on the case and has put together a declaration to take to the EP, but it seems that this may be more fuel for her to fight our cause.

I have also been looking at a similar thread on another forum and it seems this letter is causing consternation there too.

1. Those whose E106 runs out before March 2008 will not be entitled to affiliate to CMU.
  2. Those who are already affiliated to CMU will have that right withdrawn after March 2008.

3. Those already affiliated to CMU are receiving letters stating their re-affiliation documents have not been received (when quite clearly they have been sent)
  4. Those with pre-existing conditions, heart problems, diabetes, asthma, require regular check-ups, etc will not be fully covered by Private Medical Insurance for those conditions.
  5. Those who have not lived here for the requisite 5 years (it seems) are inactive, under retirement age and with pre-existing conditions are placed in a "healthcare desert" until they reach retirement age when they can apply to England for an E121 and be taken back into the CMU.

Jan

What Mary needs now are 360 MEPs to sign her declaration.  Everybody needs to get writing to their own MEPs to get them to sign the declaration and pesuade their collegues to do the same.

On Monday morning, we should be in a position to announce our website, where you'll find lots of suggestions about ways you can help.  This latest scary incompetence (if that is what it turns out to be) needs to be brought to the attention of the French health authorities - it's not good enough - I agree.  Could anybody who has got such a letter, please pm me.  I don't need gory details at this stage, just numbers, so I can write to say "I know at least x people who have received..." You get the picture.  Thanks.

No Jan,  I don't think it is worth adding this to the problem of continued future menbership of the CMU.  It will be just be confusing the issue as had been the case when this all started, the proof of residence issue was being wrapped up and confused with the withdrawal of CVs because of the inactifs ruling and the two were not related at that time.

I think Catalpa has hit the nail on the head, these proof of residence documents have been received and not been input to the system as they don't know what to do with them, so the computer has issued the default letter.  I see little point in contacting the local CPAM, as so many are obviously affected it is obviously not a problem they have a solution to, these letters came from Regional offices, not the local ones. Personally I think Ctalpa is right and I am going to relax and worry it,  if and when my CV is refused.

Ron is right - I don't think Mary has the time - or should spend it - on the French authorities' poor admin' practices.  She and we - if we are to help her -, need to concentrate on getting her declaration into EU law.  Best not to divert her at this stage! 

The two aren't related, except in so far as timing is concerned, and possibly because the "britannique" applications may be being dealt with seperately, and nobody at CPAM level has joined the dots yet.  Bureaucratic incompetence only,  so it's the bureaucrats who need a little wrist-slapping here, imo!

Take your point Ron & Coops.

I have written to my MEP, but have had no response, I am assuming however, that he has just passed the letter on.  I have also sent same letter to Mary.  Have also signed the petition and have passed on link to others who might not have seen it.

I shall watch this space.

Jan

Some information

As all are aware the information asked for this year to apply for health care under CMU was a bit different.

The information being asked for was due to new anti fraud measures which have been put in place.

Included in these new anti fraud measures are an examination of peoples lifestyle/property if they are claiming a low income.

As a result all applications  for CMU are being closely examined and liason is going on with the tax authorities,and this applies in particular to the Britaniques.

One particular thing they are investigating is undeclared income from Gites.

As a result most of the CMU applications have not been processed yet.

The CPAM computer has not been updated with the fact that these applications have been received but not yet processed ,so as a result an automated computer generated letter has been sent out.

We can blame CPAM for this if we want but our fellow Brits in the Dordogne who were claiming RMI hence CMU for free but obtaining a very healthy living from Gites and B & B's are partialy responsible for these antifraud measures being put in place

That still doesn't prevent them from making a list of people who've submitted the documents, and getting them off the reminder list, whatever they may be doing with them.  We're tax payers (well, I am, we declare all our income, always have, no investments or gites hidden away!) for goodness sake.  It's our money their wasting, and our French neighbours' too.  To say nothing of wasted phone calls, polution caused by unnecessary trips to CPAMs, wasted paper etc etc etc.  If M. Sarkozy is sincere in wishing to save the taxpayers' money, he could start here!