I have spent several hours now reading the posts on this forum and am now mind bogged so forgive me if this has been raised elsewhere.....

Has anyone asked DWP if we could pay to extend our E106 etc forms until retirement date rather than having to take out private insurance. I have read that although we will be thrown out of CPAM after being resident for 5 years we can go back in.........can anyone confirm?

What happened to Enteinte Cordiale !!

Chris

The only way you can pay to extend the E106 is by continuing some form of work in the UK, thereby paying  "full" NI contributions.

after being resident for 5 years we can go back in.........can anyone confirm?

The rules governing re-entry are expected to be clarified in the next few days. No-one outside the French government knows the details at present.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay full NI contributions until we could get back into the system than the cost of private cover that's if it was an option made available?

Also, have a look at frenchentree.com regarding my last point. Sorry but I am a bit behind on this health lark as my E106 lasts till Jan 2009 and I adopted a wait and see attitude - now I am having a slight panic ! By the time my E106 lapses I will have been here permanently just on 2 years so I'm hoping I will only have to pay for private cover for 3 years and then be able to hop back into the system !

Chris

We have had a unequivocal no from the DWP re E106 extentions - but that's not to say it isn't an issue we'll still pursue.  However, as has been pointed out on another thread, some EU countries don't give any cover to their citizens who depart their country of birth, so it's a boat one does not want to rock too much in public.  As said above, unless you continue to work.

The scenario you describe is the likely one - 3 years or so of PHI then back in again.  We should know by week - end.

www.frenchhealthissues.eu

Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay full NI contributions until we could get back into the system than the cost of private cover that's if it was an option made available?

Yes it probably would be cheaper, but you can only pay if you have employment in the UK.

I  know the E106 can last up to 2 years, January- December, but would it be possible to stop work in July and not register in France till January, thus getting the maximum cover?  I will retire in July and we will go to France but may come back for a bit so we are covered by our travel insurance until January.