BREAKING NEWS ON EXPAT HEALTH COVER

I'm sorry if some of the finer detail have passed me by and to avoid me having to read the entire thread again can I just see I've got this right:

As a non actif non EU citizen of less than 5 years residence you are permitted to affiliate to CMU ?

Are Jersey reimbursing France or is this a magnanamous gesture because you have no cover anywhere else ?

If so it will doubtless stick in the craw of some inactif EU citizens being treated (or not) somewhat differently.

Not a dig at you at all BTW, bl**dy good luck I say, just confirming the facts.  

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that they are reporting an official source (probably Mme Gaillard) I think it would be fairly safe to regard this as official confirmation.

All in all, it looks like a pretty good result for most people, especially for those with current (or future) medical conditions and other such 'force majeur' situations. 

Big respect to everyone on the hairdressing team....[:D]

Not quite jumping the gun but if this is to be the case I wonder if they will accept an application to join before the cut off date of 30/09/07.

Mindful of what was occuring and armed with an E106 refusal letter er indoors went to the CPAM office on 10/09 to chance her luck for afilliation, there was, after all, nothing to be lost by having a go. Under my understanding of the rules prior to this shake up she would have been admitted but she has never heard a word back from them either way and we assumed that was because of the state of confusion.

We have subsequently been accepted under my E106 but being afilliated in her own right could be quite advantageous.

Edit: She is a diabetes sufferer whether that would make any difference or not.

Hopefully we will get official confirmation soon. A reversal letter will do me.

We have some friends that are currently on a E 106, it will run out in January 2008, they each have a CV, I wonder if they will be allowed to stay in the system, does the fact that they have the CV indicate that they are in the CMU system. They have had the CV prior to the 30.09.08.

ams

I agree with Lisa.   It seems to me that this will not assist those in general good health whose E106 is due to expire, say, January next.

However, it may still be worth trying to run the inequality argument (which has been discussed before on this forum), in the sense that there are probably a few individuals who were unable to obtain an E106 due to lack of NI contributions, but who were anyway accepted directly into the CMU on arrival in France.    Thus it seems highly unfair that those who have been resident here for a year and were in possession of an E106 will no longer have an option to be affiliated at expiry of their E106, yet those who have been resident here for (say) a year, and were admitted directly to the CMU on the above basis, can continue the affiliation.

Not sure if there is really a legal argument as such, but there is I suppose a moral point to continue to make, if nothing else.

And so well done to everyone connected with the health issues site, I am sure they have made a difference here.       Perhaps the Chief Hairdresser should pass by Gordon Brown on her way home and teach him a thing or two !

The idea that I might be a hairdresser is funnier than you think! Just got back from Totterdam (give your liver fair warning if you ever spend the weekend with 30 dutchmen!) and got the news.  Thanks S/D, Londoneye and others - but it's sheer weight of numbers and argument that count in the end, so everybody who's put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard can pat themselves on the back too.

L/E, I think that you have it right, and we have felt that if this were the way things panned out, it would in fact strengthen the legal argument, for the reason you state.  Why should anybody who's payed up for longer be worse off than those with a perfect N/I record?  It's a better outcome than it was but even madder, imo.

We'll have a brief hairdressers' convention, I guess, then get on with the business of trying to sort this.  I bet the "appeals procedure" will be fun.....[Www]

First of all, thanks Clair for the breakdown on the tax situation. We visited the Tax people at Figeac this afternoon, and although we weren't clear on this business when we went in, I'm not sure we were too much clearer when we came out! Seems they've changed the way the calculations are done, and we're not paying much more tax than last year, but the CMU cotisations have been hiked up, they must have changed the way they do their calculations too. Government seem to be giving something with one hand and taking it away with the other.

Ernie. Although I am a non-actif non EU citizen, I have been here longer than 5 years. Jersey doesn't reimburse France for medical cover, there is no reciprocal agreement for that, [nor for the tax, so if I become liable for tax there, I will have to pay it there and in France, doubly taxed in effect]. I don't pretend to know how or why the non EUs should still be covered by the CMU and EUs not.  We paid into the Jersey health system until we came to live here, and fully expected to pay into the French system, in a similar manner, which we did, we had to. Unlike the UK, Jersey has no 'E' cards, so we never got the first 2 years 'free', i.e. being paid for by our ex-home country, we started paying into the CMU during our first 3 months here, which, incidentally is the only agreement Jersey has with France, a kind of 'holiday' cover, [and that's assuming you'll be returning home after that time]. We don't have health cover anywhere else, I assume we are on a par with the Americans, New Zealanders et al.. who are living over here. Unlike UK residents, when we reach retirement age, we will still have to pay into the CMU, [if it still exists by then], until we die, because of the non-reciprocal thing. We are not entitled to 'free' [paid for by our ex-home country because we paid into the system there for X number of years], health on any 'E' forms, they don't exist in the Channel Isles..I wish they did, because I intend to live a long time, and I could save a packet!

Seriously though, you're right, I don't doubt many non- actif EUs will feel put out by this, and I don't blame them. But I didn't make the rules. Although things have now turned out alright for me and mine, it doesn't prevent us feeling annoyed and disgusted at what we perceive as shoddy treatment of fellow Britons, who don't want to defraud the system or get something for nothing,  all they WANT is to pay into the system quite legally and get on with life. No offence taken Ern, it's good to talk. Get it off your chest!! X

It's so 'bonkers' that I wonder whether the words "'inactive' expats living in France as at 30th Sept 07, and already registered with the State health insurance system (the 'CMU'), might just include E106'ers as well?  Perhaps the words (the 'CMU') were used as a quick generic term to explain the assurance maladie system?

After all, they are also settled here and registered with the state health insurance system under the previous rules and face the same healthcare concerns as CMU'ers...

We won't know for sure until the official announcement.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

It's so 'bonkers'

[/quote]

Bit strong for you Sunday Driver. Go and sit down in a darkened room with a cup of sweet tea. [Www]

Yes it did take an effort by many people but it still needed pulling together.

Let's hear it for the Hairdressers. [:D] [:D] [:D]

[quote user="ams"]

In that case not good news for those on an E106. We were not able to obtain an E106 as we are not british.

ams

[/quote] 

EDIT

Ernie I don't know why I am bothering with this twat but I'll explain.

He said "We were not able to obtain an E106 as we are not british"

That means that they do not have an E 106.  Clear so far?

So helpful as ever,  I said " Well in that case you would have had to have joined the CMU when you arrived in France and so will be allowed to continue, won't you?"

Now I thought that to anyone of average intelligence that would be clear.  But no, it passes over his head and because he is a snidy self promoting twat of obvious limited intelligence he makes a cheap remark about safety officers on cruise ships.

But I digress........  for the idiot's benefit

"Because as soon as you arrive in France to live you have to have healthcare cover, those who are British, can get an E 106 based on their NI contributions which means that for up to normally two years, you are covered by the French health care system. and you do not join the CMU and pay.

If you are NOT British and do not have an E 106,  you have to join the CMU from day one, and so you would already be in the CMU and will continue to be under the new rules".

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

It's so 'bonkers' that I wonder whether the words "'inactive' expats living in France as at 30th Sept 07, and already registered with the State health insurance system (the 'CMU'), might just include E106'ers as well?  Perhaps the words (the 'CMU') were used as a quick generic term to explain the assurance maladie system?

After all, they are also settled here and registered with the state health insurance system under the previous rules and face the same healthcare concerns as CMU'ers...

We won't know for sure until the official announcement.

[/quote]I can't imagine so because otherwise why the appeals procedure for pre-existings? As you say, the official document may tell us more.  We are trying to get more out of Mme Gaillard...

[quote user="cooperlola"]That is what is bonkers about it!  Now you get penalised for being British and having a good national insurance contribution record.[/quote] 

To be fair about NI contributions Coops,  IMO the whole basis of getting an E 106 is cock-eyed.  You can have paid NI all your working life 35 +years, like for example policemen and firemen and then retire early.  If after a period of retirement of more than three years you then choose to move to France, as you have made no NI contributions in the previous three years you are refused an E106 and pay for the CMU from day one.  Whereas somebody who has not paid NI at all except in the last couple of years gets an E 106.  I hope that SD is right and that everybody who is ccurrently covered by the French healthcare system either by an E 106 or CMU is allowed to stay in it.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I can't imagine so because otherwise why the appeals procedure for pre-existings? As you say, the official document may tell us more.  We are trying to get more out of Mme Gaillard...

[/quote]

The appeals procedure for pre-exisiting would apply to new arrivals who had to obtain their own PHI until they'd been here for five years (non E106 holders would be at risk for the full five years), so it's logical that this concession would apply to them.

Something to debate and keep the thread going until you and Stéphanie kick your shoes off and get the gin and fags out .........[;-)]

Here here Ron.

I started work at 15 and have paid NI all my working life, including Class3 for some 9 years or so whilst working abroad, yet the mere fact that I choose to live in France disqualifies me from reciprocal health cover after 2 years.

If I had remained in UK but given up work completely and just lived on my savings, thus never paying another penny in NI, then I, or rather we, would have still have been fully covered !

Bonkers, you bet - but it just goes to show that governments really don't give a to** about anybody, only what they can extract from them, and if they die prematurely so much the better, it saves them money [:@]