BREAKING NEWS ON EXPAT HEALTH COVER

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an email received from SYED KAMALL Conservative MEP for London (and a STAR in my opinion) in response to my request for support of the European Parliament's Written Declaration on health care provision for European Citizens residing in another Member State.

Dear

Thank you for your email. I apologise for the delay in

replying.

We have received a number of emails on this subject which

has generated a great deal of debate amongst British MEPs.

As a rule, I sign very few written declarations but will

make an exception in this case.

Regards,

Syed

This campaign is obviously having an effect if people like Mr Kamall who wouldn't normally sign a petition have decided in this instance to do so. Keep it up everyone.

Good news to-day, we have been re-admitted into the CMU!

Following my previous post of 9/11, regarding Jersey citizens, I decided to write a short letter to our CPAM in the Lot, whilst waiting for a letter from the S.S. in Jersey confirming that the island is non EU.     I pointed out that the Channel Isles were not in the EU or the EEA, and have no reciprocal health agreement with France, therefore could they re-examine my dossier and my request to renew the CMU.

The letter I received today is the usual standard one - "Affiliation au regime general sous critere de residence - Renouvellement. Periode du 01/10/2007 au 30/09/2008". Followed by the same blurb reagrding what law it comes under [loi no. 99-641 du 27 juillet 1999 sur la CMU], and stating how much our cotisations are going to be each trimester.The only difference being the wording in bold, near the top, stating "Rectificatif du 30/10/2007", which is the date on the letter we received stating we were being kicked out.

No mention of my letter to them, or if we are being re-admitted because I an non EU. I am waiting on a return phone call from the CPAM to find out more, but despite calling twice, I have been told the person I want may call back today, or on Monday. The cotisations have gone up drastically, we're paying 101 euros more per trimester, so I need to find out why, as my pension hasn't gone up significantly in a year. I also intend to ask if we're back in because of the Jersey connection or the 5+ year rule. I will let you know.

When my nieghbours, who have lived in france for over 5 years, received the initial letter in september asking for evidence of stable residence, they sent off copies of over 5 years worth of tax avis, social contributions, edf bills, ursaff bills & an attestation of residence from our local marie. Instead of getting the expulsion letter they have now received thier paperwork back together with an application to renew thier CMU.  It should be interesting to see what happens next.

We live in the Charente with our CPAM based in Angouleme.

We live in 33 and so far haven't had a letter - no problem anyway as we've been here over 5 years and have a (now expired) carte de sejour which proves our residency.

We are both "inactifs" but each receive quite good pensions, so of course pay quite a lot into CPAM

I wonder if when all the dust settles, we can actually choose to opt out of CMU in favour of private health care.  I haven't researched costs yet, but I suspect that we may be better off with private insurance.

Has anyone any views or knowledge of such an option?

The French heathcare website ameli.fr describes CMU as an assurance obligatoire, so unless you are specifically excluded due to personal circumstances (eg EU inactif resident for less than five years) or you are affiliated through another obligatory regime, then regardless of your nationality, you may not opt out for alternative private cover.

No sorry WB you are wrong.

You cannot opt for ONLY private health care in France unless you have been excluded for any reason from the State system.  As SD rightly says you are obliged to join the state system, what you also join is up to you and that is no different to a person in the UK paying NI and belonging to BUPA.

It would be interesting to know what people think constitutes paying too much into the CMU, unless you pay more than 2000€ per annum per person they are subsidising you.

Ron, with due respect to your knowledge, the bulletin says quite clearly that the group of people who are involved are able to stop paying to URSAAF provided they prove they are making mayments to an approved policy in the private sector. And it is also European law, not French, backed by the law professor himself, though not much liked or publicized by the CMU people

A follow up as promised to our re-admittance to the CMU.

They phoned back this morning. Our re-admittance is because I am a citizen from a non EU 'country', [Jersey], not as a result of the 5 year rule. I have found out the reason our cotisations have gone up by 101 euros per trimester. The o/h looked at the recent tax form and discovered that the 20% abatement had been left off. We thought this was an error on behalf of the tax dept. It is not. The CMU advised me that this is new law, the 20% abatement is now defunct, for everybody.[How on earth did we miss seeing that coming!?]  Seems we're all going to have to pay more for health cover. However, it's still a lot more affordable than private health insurance, so we can't complain!  Still keeping fingers and toes crossed for good news on the 5 year rule for EU citizens tho'.

Christine.

[quote user="Mrs. P."]...and discovered that the 20% abatement had been left off. We thought this was an error on behalf of the tax dept. It is not. The CMU advised me that this is new law, the 20% abatement is now defunct, for everybody.[How on earth did we miss seeing that coming!?][/quote]

This is part of the changes which came about this year. The new "barêmes" (ceilings) integrate the old 20% "abattement":

[quote]La réforme du barème de l’impôt sur le revenu, entrée en vigueur en 2007, se traduit par :

- une réduction du nombre de tranches de 7 à 5,

- une diminution des taux d’imposition notamment du fait de l’intégration dans le barème de l’abattement de 20%

auparavant applicable aux salaires, pensions et revenus non salariés

des adhérents de centres de gestion ou d'associations agréés.

Le nouveau barème va s’appliquer aux revenus de l’année 2006, que vous déclarerez en 2007.

Il comporte :

- une réduction du nombre de tranches de 7 à 5

- une diminution des taux notamment du fait de l’intégration dans le barème de l’abattement de 20%

applicable aux salaires, pensions et revenus des professions non

salariées (BIC, BNC, BA réels adhérents d’un centre ou d’une

association de gestion agréés).

Ce dispositif conduit dans la plupart des cas à un allégement global de l’impôt.

Tranches de revenus et taux applicables aux revenus 2005 (IR 2006)Tranches de revenus et taux applicables aux revenus 2006 (IR 2007)
Jusqu’à 4 413 €0Jusqu’à 5 614 €0
De 4 413 € à 8 677€6,83 %De 5 615 € à 11 198 €5,5 %
De 8 678 € à 15 274 €19,14 %
De 15 275 € à 24 731 €28,26 %De 11 199 € à 24 872 €14 %
De 24 732 € à 40 241 €37,38 %De 24 873 € à 66 679 €30 %
De 40 242 € à 49 624 €42,62 %
Plus de 49 624 €48,09 %Plus de 66 679 €40 %

[/quote]