After the euphoria that yesterday's news brought my OH has now set about writing to cancel our PHI hoping that the company will receive it within the 30 days cancellation period and that we might get back our three thousand odd euros.  I however feel that it might be more prudent to hang fire a while still not wanting the uncertainty of being without any cover.  According to the small print we can at any time give 14 days notice of cancellation and may be entitled to a pro-rata refund.  After a few heated words between us I have decided to ask what others in the same position might be thinking of doing now about PHI.  Thanks Kate.

We are seeking some advice about this.  We are asking whether the change in policy by the government might allow people to cancel insurance in this case as it is something which was entirely beyond your control.

If you have a few more days grace then I would wait until the announcement and rules are on the French Social Security Website at the very least, as if you have an accident in the meantime, you could be in trouble if your CPAM still argues with you!  We will keep you posted but in your shoes, I would hang fire for a week at the least, if your policy is still cancel-able.

It's a tough call, BaF, you are right.  Hopefully, the new rules will be simpler to implement, which should appease CNAMTS who were apparently the sticking point on the December rules, initially.  Hence, I think the o/p needs to hold on for as long as it's feasible.

There is one policy we know of which is cancellable at very short notice.  This may suit some people who are in a holding position!  PM me for details.  I have no personal interest in any insurance companies and do not want anybody to think that FHI has any links with them, thus I do not wish to publish this on the site.