" I'm broke" Confesses long term locateur

Plee

[quote user="Plee"]

...the promulgated myth that The French are all a big caring family ( with a caring big brother of course!) , a Myth which has some elements of truth I find, but we're getting way off topic.

[/quote]

I am sure we all know French families. son takes father to the tribunal, cousins in an (often violent) state of war, sister will have nothing to do with brother... Not sure where caring comes into it.

I'm not saying it's just the French, probably more to do with being small rural communities with little outside interest, and those that do make the break are regarded with insane jealousy. Come to think of it, not much different from rural Sussex in the 50s, as opposed to the present commuter-land and horsey set.

Back on topic, perhaps you should constantly remind these people of your other bookings. I am sure some of us could book the place for, say, March.If they still don't get the message, then helping out with cash might be the best way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help with practicalities, but in terms of the ethics: would you have taken them in if they'd told you they wouldn't be able to pay? If not, then why let them stay now, assuming you can get them out.

If they were claiming to be house hunting I can't see how they can't lay hands on a couple of months' rent or pay for a ferry ticket home.

Your 100% correct,

As you know Im saying what I know and how I feel is a fair way to sort this out on all sides, the future bookings think all's well but is it??

ref the renter's well Im sure they're reading every word on this subject and if so any help needed with a reply ask for Russethouse she put you in the right direction.

[quote user="Pun"]

I.d also have a good long think ref the customer who think they have a holiday booked and  think alls well when infact they may not have a holiday.

at least give them time to sort themself's out it no fault of their doing.

[/quote]

Don't go blaming poor old Catulpa, I had to think twice about what you really meant there too Pun, and even then I wasn't entirely sure. 

Thanks for making it clear now though.

We rented a place for three months when we arrived - but couldn't find any work.

We soon realised that we wouldn't be able to pay the rent anymore, and our savings were running dry, so we told the 'landlord' and made our way down to the CAF via a social worker.

If we couldn't have done this (my partner's french and some locals put us in touch with the social worker) then we'd have gone home and chalked the whole thing up to massive failure!

Tell them to either get some housing benifit/RMI (and believe me - they'll be lucky to cover the rent on a flat never mind a house; plus they'll need to furnish it) or go home to England.

Sadly for them - it just ain't your problem! You are not the CAF...

kick em out. they must have known how much money they had when they took on the property. If they moved to France with just enough to survive and pay a rental deposit then rely on their internet business to give them a revenue then they are stupid. I think they are playing on your feelings and have possibly done this before.

I suspect they are working illegally, tell them if they don't go you'll inform the tax man and URSAFF of their activity. Bad internet  connection isn't your fault, they are the client so they should be chasing their isp.

tell them they have 48hrs to go. make a note of their car no so you can warn others

Cant comment as my only experience with renting out houses is in the UK  ....but .....as these people are Brits ...and they say they have fallen upon hard times ...am I not right in thinking that the British Consul have in place a system of financial assistance for repatriation of UK citizens. in these circumstances  which then  becomes a fincial bebt on them in the UK  . An offer to drive them to the nearest Consular Office to arrange their  home going  might help move them on ...If they are genuine when they say they are in trouble then they will want to "Go home "    ......I would ......Is this a case of you being the last one they think about finding money for ....and they still find cash for ...food...wine ...fuel for the car etc...and are preparing to go when they are ready leaving you the only ones not to be paid ? Please dont say you are feeding them as well as giving shelter ?    

[quote user="Bones"]We rented a place for three months when we arrived - but couldn't find any work.

We soon realised that we wouldn't be able to pay the rent anymore, and our savings were running dry, so we told the 'landlord' and made our way down to the CAF via a social worker.

If we couldn't have done this (my partner's french and some locals put us in touch with the social worker) then we'd have gone home and chalked the whole thing up to massive failure!

Tell them to either get some housing benifit/RMI (and believe me - they'll be lucky to cover the rent on a flat never mind a house; plus they'll need to furnish it) or go home to England.

Sadly for them - it just ain't your problem! You are not the CAF...
[/quote]

seems a good option here.

only experience is UK lettings but behind every sob story is a potential nightmare.  Inlaws letted to a single mum who worked locally.  Felt sorry for her and everything OK untill she stopped paying the rent and then the son got involved with threats of knivings if they go to social,  she's out now and someone elses problem as she knows my inlaws address they don't want to inform the social incase.  End of day she's out and only loss is a couple of quid and wrecked house which needed gutting anyway.  I was for going police or another but i'm not local to them and there away.

not saying you have someone else's problem, but don't get emotionally attached as it can be used against you.  Some peoples liveleyhoods are their "can't help but like them"

as people say their hard luck isn't your problem

good luck

[quote user="Pun"]

Why dont you re-read what I said, I said it was not the future holiday booking fault,

Catalpa, read befor you reply would be a good idea, dont you think???

[/quote]

Pun, to be blunt: frequently I do not read your posts at all. I skip your

contributions. They're a chore. Why do you think I - or anyone - should take the time and effort to re-read them to understand them if you cannot be bothered to use a spell-checker or at least grasp the basics of punctuation?

If you want people to clearly understand your points on first reading - which I assume is your intention - perhaps you could address that rather than snapping at me for requesting

clarification.

[quote user="Pun"]

The first thing is to ask yourself who's name are the bills going to come to? if  your own get hold of the verious concerns ie edf, your, rates dept insurance ect and make sure they know whos living in the property and whos using the services, if  the bills in your name its you these service people are dealing with and you they want payment off.

The advice ref going to the mairie is good advice thats what these people are here for ,to know whats going on in the dept , they will ask your tennants questions, lots of questions.

I.d also have a good long think ref the customer who think they have a holiday booked and  think alls well when infact they may not have a holiday.

at least give them time to sort themself's out it no fault of their doing.

and next time you take long term lets, think about insurance ref this ever happening again.

good luck I hope by the end of the year all this mess is sorted out for both you and the renters. and thanks for sharing this with us all it helps no end to see just what can go wrong and how to deal with these situations.

[/quote]

Pun, its a perfectly reasonable mis understanding and I think its caused because you have ended the paragraph and the expression 'at least give them time' etc is on its own, which is a little confusing.

I think we have the gist now.[:)]

Good News

I'm glad to report good news. Les locateurs have taken out a loan and are staying until mid May as planned !!!! Phew !!

We have reduced the rent by 90 euros a month and recommended they download ONSPEED. Its brilliant for non ADSL areas.

It is for me a moment to reflect on all the horrors which were going through my mind. It was worse than I let on to you. All the bills are in my name and I even left my check card there lying on the desk while I went for lunch and so on. I had been completely trusting.

But the salutary point is , they aren't international con artists, just a couple going through a tight spot. But since we have been speaking of this problem it appears that a Dutch couple have conned and stolen many thousands of euros off people ( S.Lot) apparently the nicest people you could meet. Used an appoinment to view a gite for sale as one intro.

Well thanks again for ALL your postings. They were a great help at a testing time.....Pete

I think you're being too trusting, how can they afford to pay a loan if they can't afford to pay the rent. With all the bills in your name too, and how do you know they will be out in May.

I'd make sure you get the rent every month and you should read the meter every month and charge them, if they default once kick em out cos it will be you that loses out.

we have gites and in the past have rented them to French people for the winter months. All services went through 1 meter which was in my name, but each gite has its own private non EDF meter. I would read this every month and charge them every month.

I was very particuler to who I would rent to, and I always pointed out  whenever they would come to view the property that i was very fair but very firm and made it very clear that it was important for them to keep to the agreed terms because there would be no messing about.

Successful con artists are 'nice' people who can appear respectable and professional on the outside - or lovable and bumbling if they think that will work better.

Sorry to sound uncharitable, but why should they be any different in future? I agree with Mikey, if they can't pay the rent, they certainly won't be able to manage the repayments on a loan as well as the rent even if you have reduced it slightly.

I'm a little sceptical too.

They are trying to apparently make a living in France whilst living in a gite and they have managed to obtain a loan ( I know I don't know all their circs) .

As a gesture of their good faith ( you have put plenty in them) I would ask for immediate payment of the rent upfront as a lump sum.

I once rented a  house in the UK to a family who came to me via an agency from a bed and breakfast hotel . The guy had been ill had fallen on hard times but now was in work and trying to rebuild his life . The agency pointed out that financially he was now back on his feet and both he and his partner were in work. I rented them the house as one of the guarantees given was a letter from his boss guaranteening  the rental payments .....After a few months the rent was not being paid ..... I had to chase them for it.... always an excuse. I then found they had gone to Greece on holiday after the rent due date .....and it had not been paid.......again .    I spoke to his boss pointing out the letter of guarantee.....the boss then told me a sub had been asked for as he had told him he " had his rent to pay before he went on holiday and the family would have no holiday money  " The boss then  told me he had given a reference stating he worked for him that was all .... the rental guarantee part had been typed on the letter afterwaards ......The comment I got when they came back from Greece. and I asked how the arrears were to be paid was  "I suppose you want me to sell the car now do you ?"......as if it was my fault how he lived his life  !.....

....Have you seen proof of the granting of the loan .........or just taken their word for it ...... Sorry to appear to be the over suspicious type but I have had cause to be ...many times ....and perhaps thats how you should be with this couple .  There are people out there who resent those who have worked hard and obtained property and then rent them out...they are jealous and dont feel guilty about not paying on time .or ..if at all .  

I'm afraid I have to join the skeptical lot.   However, we don't know what kind of loan these people have obtained.  Perhaps it was from a family member or friend who does not require immediate repayments...  Still, I'd be very happy to see the backs of these people if I were the OP.

Plee wrote "Dutch couple have conned and stolen many thousands of euros off people ( S.Lot) apparently the nicest people you could meet. Used an appoinment to view a gite for sale as one intro."

Slightly off subject,  but about beiing taken in, did anyone see that documentary the other day about that child murderer/ paedophile.  Apparently he was the "nicest" guy in the village.  When you saw him being interviewed you would have said he hadn't done it, until just before the end, you saw him confess.   Scary.

Georgina