Health Care Insurance Providers

[quote]However, the situation you discribe could just be the passport you need

to the CMU, as you need to prove you cannot get full PHI, due to

insurance refusal.  It may well be a very wise approach for those with

pre-exisiting conditions, because you will have proof from a medical

professional.  So for those in this situation, it is probably well

worth while seeking out those companies who insist on a medical[cooperlola][/quote]

And they are (or include) ... ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a previous life I dealt with medical info for health assurance and life policys.

if you have not started the process, choose a few company's and policies that suit you and get quotes from them.  Some companies underwrite a little more leniently than others, so some may be more or less generous with a loading.  Also the more benefits/cover they provide the more detailed medical information will be required.  if you provide them with all the info such as full Dr's and consultant address' and copies of any reports, this will help them spead the process up.  So if the risk to them is small and you and in good health they may not need to ask you to go for a medical examination.

if you request a quote for a plan that has two levels and you elect for the cheapest with less benefits the underwriting will be based on this.  if you then decide to go ahead with a more comprehensive policy this may result in more medical information or examinations or speecial questions.  So if there is a possibilty of proceeding with the hihg level of benefits it may be worth you requesting this first to avoid delays.  There are normally set requirements for (standard cases) they can always reduce the cover with no further delays.  Check this with your agent.  Save time!

Complete the form IN FULL  this causes delays and may not be able to start the underwriting procees until this is completed!..

Do not forget your weight, check all the ticked boxes and answer every one, sign and date it, failure will mean a signed statement from you - again delays.

Call the company ask if they will accept a fax or emailed application to get the ball rolling followed by the original in the post.  Get a contact name and if possible a direct telephone number.

Read the small print, the ones that do not need a medical form completed will give a speedy decision but usually means that if you have a condition or symptoms already they will not cover you any way.  When you do may a claim this is were you will find the problem.  

I disclosed everything backed up by a statement about recent press coverage declining cover as they had failed to report an unrelated condtion,  In view of this I asked them to seek copies of all my medical records just in case I had forgotten something.    Not sure if it works but I have tried to cover my self.

I stated a start date 'to be advised' if you give a start date and complete the Direct debit they may start the plan as soon as a decision is given.  Not providing a completed Direct debit with your application may hold up the issue of the start of the plan.  A method of payment is usually required before they start the plan!

When an underwriting decision has been given, and if there has been a delay with your application, some company's may ask for a declaration of good health before starting the plan - again more delays. 

This is a business which operates on a commission basis, targets and turnovers and bonus's.  To reach these targets they would want as much business to start asap.  Although the E106's plans will not start until 2008 they still want plans issued.  If you are being pressed to give the go ahead with your plan ask who is pushing and why.  Ask about the last date before a declaration of good health is required ( this will incude the company receiving the DDI)  

Keep your top up company informed at all times.  Any refund due will be easier and quicker - hope fully.

Sorry but I have to go as I have run out of time.

Hope this may be useful to some people.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Requirements for foreigners seem to be significantly more than those provided by CPAM plus top up. Is this not pure discrimination under European law at least?[/quote]What is more, woolyb, if - say for argument's sake - an American moves here, they must have PHI.  Fine.  However, after they have achieved 6 months' stable residency (3 under the old rules), they can dump the PHI and join the CMU.  However, the new document clearly tells the CPAMs that non French Europeans cannot give up PHI voluntarily until they have been here for 5 years.  Good, no? This argument is not lost on us, believe me, especially as EU legislation being cited says that it must not "discriminate on the basis of nationality".  Another law being broken by the French authorities then!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Ninthace"]

We too have costed some insurers and have produced a comparison based on a 57 yr old couple with no pre-existing conditions paying monthly premiums.  Prices seem to range from 8000€ to 3500€ per annum per couple depending on level of cover. We looked at Secara (AGF via a Dutch association), AGF, April (from 3 sources), Exeter Friendly, ASFE and the Exclusive Healthcare Platine Plans.  While I cannot guarantee its accuracy or accept any liability for the content, I can e-mail a copy of the spreadsheet if anyone wants it.  Interestingly one of the companies appears not to require a medical declaration - I have queried this and they have confirmed it but I have not seen the small print of the policy.

[/quote]

Given the interest when I published this same information on Total France, I thought fellow E106 holders would appreciate a bump of this thread.  Incidentally, the spreadsheet has grown a bit as I have added other policies.

[quote user="loa"]

Ninthance'

Is it possible that you can send me a copy of your spreadsheet.

Yours

Chris Ellaway

[/quote]

Chris - and anyone else who wants a copy - I need an e-mail addess to send it to. E-mail via the Forum does not support attachments

[quote user="Clair"]

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR EMAIL ADRESS ON THE FORUM.

Contact Ninthace by clicking on the EMAIL BUTTON at the bottom of HIS POST.[/quote]

Sorry I expected a pm or an e-mail.  I prefer e-mail as these can be forwarded for action if I am not here whereas PMs have to wait for my return.  Please include the word spreadsheet in the title.

Had a very interesting (disturbing?) letter today.  It was from a company called Soficas, who are insurance brokers.  It was in english, personally addressed to me, and basically informed me that the french legislation was changing with regards to healthcare, that this change would concern me, and then inviting me to fill in a form and they would provide a quote.  I say disturbing, because I do not have a mutuelle, and have never made any enquiries about health insurance to any company.  My E106 did expire on Jan 5th. 

My point is, how did they know?[8-)]

I too have received the same letter. Back in 2004 long before I decided to move here permanantly, although I owned a holiday home at the time they wrote to me,. I did in fact speak to them but on my move here for various reasons I did not proceed with them. They would not know my new address so I can only assume they may buy mailing lists from other companies ,of British people here to whom they target.

I had a mail shot from them at the end of last year and contacted them for a quote, after chasing them twice for the paper work I gave up.

However it is possible to buy names and address and when I ask where the called callers had my got my details from they just say the phone book.  As they are in village/commune town order, it so easy for a local company to target certain people.  The British names stand out like a sore thumb!.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi,

Can anyone supply me with anecdotal reports of Private healthcare that gives cover for most of the nasty stuff (cancer/heart conditions/diabeties etc) that could affect the average 56 and one half year old in the next 8.5 years?. I know there is lots of good stuff on here and contact details of providers but I need to get some reassurance that such cover is possible from someone who has 'been there and done it'. Hopefully I won't need private cover immediately as Mrs Oldgit has applied for a workers E106 from January but just in case I need to cover us, I really would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience of private healthcare that 'does what it says on the tin'.

Thanks