France backs down on access to CMU for inactifs

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="cooperlola"][:D]  No need to apologise, Betty.  Nice to see your pretty face about the place.[:)][/quote]

I'm hanging fire on the full-time move till the regs change to cover cheap cosmetic surgery [;-)]
[/quote]

It would appear that some individuals have already managed to scam the CMU for cosmetic surgery! - article from 2004 -

http://lexpansion.lexpress.fr/economie/les-abus-de-la-cmu_22509.html

Shurely shome mishtake? These people appear to be French!!!. I can't believe that real French people would abuse their own system. I have been labouring under the misconception that only we Johnny-come-lately foreign people did that.[Www]

It would be interesting to see what happens if either country pulls out

of the EU.  More likely to be the UK than France in my opinion, now the

rabid right are in charge

Those who have worked here,   paid cotisations, and have a French pension  may still be covered but I doubt that the UK would continue to pay for its nationals' health cover elsewhere in Europe.

[quote user="NormanH"]but I doubt that the UK would continue to pay for its nationals' health cover elsewhere in Europe.

[/quote]Which would in all probability lead to a large influx of returning retirees becoming a burden on the UK economy.

[quote user="AnOther"]If that happened I wonder how it would affect the 300,000 French supposedly living/working in UK ?

[/quote]

Well if they are working there is no problem, as there is no problem with Brits working in France

And don't forget that the UK is the odd man out in providing health care simply on the basis of residence so anybody French or otherwise gets cover.

That has nothing to do with being in or out of Europe

Sweden certainly supplied healthcare to british citizens on a reciprical basis before Sweden joined the EU. In fact the nominal charge for a doctors visit was waived if you produced a UK passport. This applied both to residents and visitors.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="AnOther"]If that happened I wonder how it would affect the 300,000 French supposedly living/working in UK ?
[/quote]

And don't forget that the UK is the odd man out in providing health care simply on the basis of residence so anybody French or otherwise gets cover.

That has nothing to do with being in or out of Europe
[/quote]

But not us, as UK residents we are the exception who have to have S1's to get health care.

Nothing is ever straightforward, ever. If  we can lose out or end up paying for something, then that is what happens to us.

[quote user="NormanH"]Well if they are working there is no problem, as there is no problem with Brits working in France

That has nothing to do with being in or out of Europe[/quote]

I beg to differ.

If UK pulled out of the EU then along with it could or would go freedom of movement leaving UK completely free to impose whatever conditions it chose on immigrants, not only in terms of healthcare entitlement but also a host of other things, including entry to the UK in the first place, Brussels would no longer be able to call the shots.

It's an academic argument anyway as there are far too many powerful and influential people riding and milking the EU gravy train to let it happen.

Hello,

I've read the news about the CMU with great interest. I'm Dutch, but I'm affected by the 2007-rule like the British. I have a condition which prevents me from being accepted by most private insurance companies, BUT, there is one ENGLISH insurance company (April) that has a deal with a group of Dutch-forum-groups and takes anyone, no health-questions asked. The fee at the moment is 607 euro per month for a couple under 65.

So, that means no discrimination, just a hefty fee. We are at the moment halfway the 5 year waiting period and hope to be able to enter a cheaper system then.

• 2 months later...
As some of you know, we are described as 'inactif' - our friends might not agree with that, looking after the bees and allotment, however we are due to lose our S1/E106 entitlement in December.

Even though we are on low income, we would happily pay a contribution to CPAM/CMU for our healthcare in France, same as we did in UK. We are, at present healthy, but if we could, say pay a contribution per month for the two of us of 50 euros, and we kept our mutuelle going, that would be no problem.

I think that would also be good for the French economy - us paying them not an insurance company. I think it would also sit well with others in this position.

Though I realise there will always be those trying to 'break' the system.

[quote user="Keni"]As some of you know, we are described as 'inactif' - our friends might not agree with that, looking after the bees and allotment, however we are due to lose our S1/E106 entitlement in December. Even though we are on low income, we would happily pay a contribution to CPAM/CMU for our healthcare in France, same as we did in UK. We are, at present healthy, but if we could, say pay a contribution per month for the two of us of 50 euros, and we kept our mutuelle going, that would be no problem. I think that would also be good for the French economy - us paying them not an insurance company. I think it would also sit well with others in this position. Though I realise there will always be those trying to 'break' the system.[/quote]

According to the new rules you should be able to join CMU. The process used to be to get a letter from the UK saying you are no longer entitled to an S1/E106, then apply for CMU. If it was me, I would also take along a copy of the French circular which explains the latest ruling.

Good luck - there are people who have been allowed back in, so keep trying.

[quote user="idun"]

Were there any foreign inactifs in France pre 1999 and what happened to them? Didn't they just pay for their health care as the poor of France had to? And they were the people that the CMU was brought in for, the poor of France.

[/quote]

I would imagine so, but of course now inactifs must have comprehensive health insurance to have the status of being legally resident.

[quote user="tinabee"][quote user="idun"]

Were there any foreign inactifs in France pre 1999 and what happened to them? Didn't they just pay for their health care as the poor of France had to? And they were the people that the CMU was brought in for, the poor of France.

[/quote]

I would imagine so, but of course now inactifs must have comprehensive health insurance to have the status of being legally resident.

[/quote]

We had to have health insurance, and proof of adequate income so as not to become a burden on the French state.

We also had to jump through all the hoops to get a Carte de Séjour which was compulsory in those days.

It was all much more difficult, and as we had to show we were financially independent there was no chance of getting the RMI (now RSA) as some more recent arrivals have wangled..

Of course I soon got my backside into gear and got a job and health cover by working for it, rather than by wingeing to some European Commission.

If you are able to join CMU, I believe you have to pay 8% of your income, plus top up insurance, so it is not inexpensive!

I recall in the past under the old regime, some expats complained that they were not allowed the alternative option of private health insurance, which they calculated would be cheaper under their particular circumstances.

The difficulty now is that whilst France is appearing on paper to comply with the EU directive, in practice they will no doubt throw every obstacle in the way. That said I do have a degree of sympathy, as the potential cost of providing health care to someone later in life can be hugely expensive and if an early retiree does not have a history of making social security contributions in France over their working life, why should the French State pick up the tab, unless they can get reimbursdement from the UK?