Health Cover while settling in

fergusq

I am not sure but we are about to find out,we have applied for an E106,after three months it is compulsory to register with the CMU in France and you pay according to your income which in our case will be none. as we will be living on capital-very frugally. Whether they take your capital as income or part of it we don't understand,no doubt we will find out only 6 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hopefully somebody out there knows

• 1 month later...
LAST EDITED ON 13-May-02 AT 09:41 PM (GMT)

>Does anybody know what cover you're
>entitled to (if any) if
>you want to start a
>business and don't forsee any
>income for the first year
>or 2?

We're in this position ourselves - arrived here a year ago, just bought a house, launching what we hope will be a successful business this summer, no relevent income to speak of at the moment...

Because we are still UK citizens, paying tax over there (I work part-time for the UK earning an extremely small income that doesn't qualify for tax, my husband doesn't work; all our efforts are going in to starting up this new venture), we have the E101 (exempting us from French social security payments and allowing us to continue under the UK SS system) as well as the E128 (for medical cover). As I understand, the E128 allows us to claim back medical expenses under the French CPAM (Caisse Primaire dAssurance Maladie) who in turn, under an EU reciprocal arrangement, are effectively paid back by the UK SS.

Apparently, you can renew your E101 (and by extension your E128) for as long as you want (it's called an E102 when it gets renewed) as long as you remain taxable and under SS in the UK. I think the rule is that it's only supposed to last for 1-2 years, and after that you join the French SS system, but the guy in the DSS I spoke to said as long as you spend minimum 3 months in the UK a year, you can reapply as often as you want... in the same breath adding that you can white-lie about the length of time you spend in the UK and there's no way of anyone checking up.

Hope this helps. If you find out any more, let me know as we're still in the process of discovering the details for ourselves.