E106? E111?

zeltus

We're bout to move to France - we'e buying a place that has a couple of gites, other than that, we're going to live off our investments...

We've been told that we can claim french medical care by filling in E111 before we go. What that?

Is there a source on the 'net that'll tell me (must be in words of one-syllable or less!) exactly what we need to do to live in France and still get medical care?

Not that we're unfit/unhealthy or anything but without some sort of cover, sods law is sure to kick in...

Cheers

Bill

The E111 is for holidaymakers abroad to recoup about 70% of their medical expenses. This is not a good insurance if your are living full time in France because you will still have to pay the full amount up front and then wait for the reimbursement to be sorted out which can take one day to six months depending on the region and circumstances. Check with the DSS at Newcastle, the overseas dept and explain your circumstances as you may be issued with another form for a limited time until you can sort out a full insurance cover. It works the other way too, when you are resident in France and need to visit the UK,your french CPAM etc issues a Elll to go there

An E111 issued by post office is to cover you as a holidaymaker while abroad for EMERGENCY TREATMENT only:ie; If you have a heart attack or get knocked down by a car,break a leg etc.If it is a medical condition that is not an emergency you are NOT covered.Even at that the E111 only covers a certain percentage of the costs incurred.avereging out at 70%.If moving full time to France you may be entitled to an E106 if below retiral age or E121 if over 60/65 dependant on sex.E106 is only issued for a maximum of 2 years,after that you have to pay into french social security system 8% of income above a certain level,dependant if married etc.You still only get around 70% refund for medical expenses You can take out medical insurance to cover you for the remainder.Of course you can take the risk that you will not need medical treatment.I suggest that you visit local DSS office and ask for booklet SA29 which explains all this or tel Social security overseas benefits dept01912187777.

In response to your query about useful net links, here are 2 I've come across :

Dept. Social Security (this address will probably divert you to the new address for the Dept. of Work and Pensions or whatever it's called - sorry, I can't find my copy of the new address) :

http://www.dss.gov.uk/

British Embassy in France/Consular Services, which includes (if my memory serves me well) a section on health cover etc - as well as lots of other useful info re moving to France, Tax, Pets, driving, residence etc etc : if the full link doesn't work for you delete everything after consular services/ and try again

http://www.amb-grandebretagne.fr/consular_services/index.jsp?folder_id=104132&folder_id_parent=196

Best wishes - and good luck !

Chris and Martin