INCAPACITY BENEFIT LONG TERM

atter

We moved to france in december 2002 and i informed the benefits agency and they sent me a form to complete. I have just had a letter saying that i will continue to receive my long term incapacity benefit whilst living in france to my great relief. Had to trust them and it worked. So for a change no problems with uk rules and regs. I will also get a E121 for medical treatment.

>We moved to france in december
>2002 and i informed the
>benefits agency and they sent
>me a form to complete.
>I have just had a
>letter saying that i will
>continue to receive my long
>term incapacity benefit whilst living
>in france to my great
>relief. Had to trust them
>and it worked. So for
>a change no problems with
>uk rules and regs. I
>will also get a E121
>for medical treatment.

Well done and congratulations.

It just goes to show that you dont really have anything to loose due to the reciprical EU/EEA agreements. I think it is always in one's interest to have the courage to at least find out what the options are.

My husband just started receiving incapacity benefit. Believe me, if he is still on it when we are ready to move over we wont hesitate to do the paperwork for him.

Regards,

Lisa

"He who does not Question, Does not Think, He who does not Think, does not Know; He who does not Know, never truly Is." Live and Let Live!!

Hello,

The lesson here is that if you are in receipt of any benefits in the UK you should check to see if they will continue to be paid before you come to France With Long Term Incapacity Benefit it will usually continue to be paid and as a result you will also be issued with E121. As long as you remain unfit for work and in receipt of this benefit then the E121 will stay valid. This is also the case if one is in receipt of Severe Disablement Allowance. Short Term Incaspacity Benefit is another matter entirely. It is far from certain that it will continue to be paid when one moves to France. If it is paid then E121 will not be issued but E106 instead but will only be valid for the time the benefit is received.

Most other benefits will cease to be paid on departure from the UK.

Regards

Peter Owen
[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
Well done. I am just going through the same thing. I was told that as long as I had been receiving the higher rate of Incapacity Benefit for more than 6 months I would qualify for payment whilst abroad. Again I was honest with them and told them I was already in France and didn't want to come back, they laughed as it was at that time very very cold in the UK. They checked how long I had been receiving IB and have sent me a form to fill in. Getting there gradually.