after E106 and before official retirement

GK

Due to redundancy my husband has taken early retirement and we're moving to our house in SW France, hopefully living on the income from investments. I know the E106 will cover us for the 70% of costs and for a period of 2 years. I also know that top up insurance will handle the rest.
We have a few ideas to consider to earn some extra income to keep us active and if some little part time job comes along then we may take it on.

Question: What do we do when the E106 expires assuming that we have no 'formal'job?

Regards

GK

Visit your local CPAM (Caisse Maladie) and ask for their advice and hopefully they might sort out a Carte Vitale if you have your CDS. You will have to supply the usual papers and income details but if you don't ask you won't know, good luck!

Hi

Having been in a not dissimilar position :

Just before our E106s expired, we wrote to the CPAM to whom we'd submitted our E106s in the first place and asked what to do.

Basically we just completed our CMU (Couverture mdicale universelle) application forms available on the CMU website :

www.ameli.fr/

We sent copies of all the papers requested, and a few weeks later got our new Attestations of CMU cover stating the extension of our previous Cartes Vitale.

If your income exceeds a certain amount then you may have to pay 8% towards the CMU depending on the forms of income, but it's a small price to pay. When you get to state retirement age you no longer have to pay.

Easy ... well sometimes !

Good luck

Chris and Martin

Having just sorted out the same situation I was very pleasantly
surprised.
Basically there is a threshold of income of just over 800 per couple per month. Presumably one pays 8% on everything above this. Despite all the horror stories that keep cropping up they do NOT take into account any capital when assesing this level. When I told them that we had some investments but had actually lost capital, they did not even ask me to produce evidence of it.
Your position in 2003 is assesed on your income in 2002 and as in that year we had been refurbishing gits, our sole income depended on 2 small occupational pensions and a small rent from a long term lease plus some interest from a deposit account it came to just below the threshold. As we were leaving I am sure the lady in the office said that for the following year any income from the gits would not need to be included, but perhaps someone else could confirm or deny this. We had already paid 900 for the complimentary, top up insurance and my cup runeth over when she said that not only would I have to pay nothing in 2003 but that they would also refund the 900. One final point is that I had worked for 59hrs. in agriculture, in a neighbours vineyard. Had I worked for 60hrs. I would have received a carte as of right. They did take my old carte off me and asked me to take any docuementation down to the office. I must admit I forgot to ask whether the carte would be replaced or whether I would have to continue to claim the ependiture back afterwards.
Well, that about it. Sorry it went on so long but I have read so much nonsense about health care in France that I thought it important and perhaps helpfull to relate an actual experience. And by the way, the two ladies in the office were so helpfull that we gave them a box of chocs. when we took the photostats down.

• 2 weeks later...