Insulin-Dependant Diabetic and Driving in France

Lyndford

We are relocating to France in 2005 and I am a diabetic, treated by insulin. Here in the U.K. my driving licence has to be renewed every 3 years, with my G.P. confirming that I'm fit to drive etc. each time.

Does anyone know what the situation is in France re: driving licences, as I will only have 2 years of my U.K. licence left when we get to France so I won't be able to renew it in the U.K?. Will I have to get a French driving licence? Or might that mean, horror upon horror, taking a French driving test??!!

Please advise, anyone who's affected.Thanks alot.

Changing your UK licence for a french does not mean you have to take a driving test again in France. The only time this would apply is if you are convicted and lose all your points and then you would have to start again. As with all serious conditions and driving you must inform your french insurers and yes, they probably will insist you get a doctor's certificate every couple of years just as the kids have to,to play sports here every year. At the end of the day be guided by your new french insurance company.

I, too, have diabetes controlled by insulin. When I arranged my car insurance the broker wasn't interested but I made sure I declared it in writing just in case. I asked my doctor the other day if, when I change to a French license, it will have to be renewed every 3 years and he said not if it was only for a car.

However, I am learning that just because one person says something in France it doesn't mean it is the same everywhere - so don't take my word for it!!

Incidentally, I have received few responses to any diabetes related questions on the forum, so please speak up if there are any more insulin users out there!

Graham (16)

Thanks very much for the useful info.,Val and Graham. I agree, there does seem to be a shortage of responses from insulin-dependant diabetics - maybe none have taken the plunge and left these U.K.shores for a better life in France..............

My wife has been an insulin dependent diabetic for 34 years.  We are looking to moving full time to France when we sell our house, but her key concerns are her diabetes and her Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Although she is not an intyernet user she would definitely be interested in any info on these subjects.  I will keep my eyes open and feed her comments and concerns in.

Ian

It doesn't seem worth starting another thread for this so forgive me if it doesn't apply to you. After advice from an American friend my husband who is 'type 2' has started taking regular small doses of Cinnamon, its too early for him to have any results, but reports are promising and he is hoping 'his numbers' will come down soon.

There are several articles on the web if you 'google'