Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the French health service

Charallais

I have suffered three strokes over the years and have the joy of have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well.

In May I collapsed and had the embarassment of going to hospital nearby then being flown by helicopter to Dijon. After many tests I was relieved to find I hadn't had another stroke but I still couldn't walk so I was sent to a centre de reeducation (rehab).

These places are wonderful. I had my own room with toilet and wash basin, television and phone. The rehabilitation involved occupational therapy, physiotherapy, relaxation therapy. that was 45 mins of OT and 1hour of physio in the morning then 30 mins in the pool followed by 1 hour of physio in the afternoon.

Great unless you have CFS. The regime was too much for me. I collapsed twice in the first week. The staff couldn't (or wouldn't) understand that with CFS it is softly softly. As I was the only English person and they couldn't speak English I ahd an almighty battle on my hands. If I was there I had to do the therapy they told me. After 4 weeks I came home and am now recouperating under my own steam. I also had trouble because my cholesterol is too high and the consultant in France has given me a diet plan to stick to what ever it takes but that was too complicated for the kitchens! and I am alergic to all milk products and they couldn't handle that until I told them I would throw up and make their work harder!

The general health service is great and my GP here is fantastic but when they don't recognise a condition or you don't fit into a pigeon hole it gets too complicated.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Are there any other CFS/ME sufferers? Where do you find help in France?

Coral 

• 2 weeks later...

"The general health service is great and my GP here is fantastic but when they don't recognise a condition or you don't fit into a pigeon hole it gets too complicated."

Oh dear, this is sounding just like the problems with the French education system. 

Coral, you have my sympathies, I do hope you are now making a good recovery.

Gill