CPAM vs suplementary health provider

Nicky France

Hello there!

I am confused!  I have had to go to the doctor and hospital several times in the last couple of months for appointments.  I have had to pay various amounts in charges and have, subsequently collected a nice bundle of invoices (all paid).  I have sent all of them to the CPAM because I was under the impression that if they don't pay them they will let you know.  However, they didn't let us know and we had to chase them up only to be told that all of the invoices need to go to our supplementary health insurer (Axa).  In the meantime, though, I have sent another invoice straight to Axa only for it to be returned with a note saying that it needs to go to the CPAM!!  Aaaagh!  How do I know who gets what when it comes to medical invoices?  Is there a golden rule?  None of my payments have been reimbursed yet and it is starting to get a bit annoying.

Please help,

Nicky.

I don't know about anyone else but I really do not know what you  mean.

If you have joined the CPAM or whichever Caisse you have to use, which you should have done when you arrived in France, then your claims should go to them. Usually these days they then pass the claims directly onto your mutualist insurers showing how much they have paid  and the mutualist will make up the payment according to the contract you have with them.

Mutualists will only pay out on payments that have been accepted or officially refused by the Caisse de Maladie.