E106

Jazzer

Natalie Avella in her book The French Property Buyers handbook states that E106 is normally issued for 2 years depending on NIC payments made over working career. I have worked since I was 16(60 now) I finished work 31 May 2005. I have been issued with e106 for 1Year only, because  I am told by phone today, that as I only earned £2k in this tax year I am only entitled to a 1 year E106. Does anyone know the rules?

Same problem for us.

I earned nothing in the Tax Year that we moved down here(in Autumn '04), so my E106 lasted till end-Dec '05. My wife earned sufficient in that Tax Yr (which I think is £3-4K ish) to last her till the end of this yr.

Newcastle says "Talk to CPAM".

CPAM says "Talk to Newcastle".

That was a couple of weeks ago. For the moment, I've decided to metaphorically stick my head in the sand and prepare my potager and gather up the many leaves that are still falling.

I join Jazzer in appealing for informed help.

An E 106 has nothing to do with how much you earn,  it is to do with how much NI was paid.  The maximum term for an E 106 if you are not working is two years, have a look at the FAQ section on this.  Entitlement to an E 106 is based on the NI paid in the previous three years, not your working career,  it matters not that you have paid NI for 40 years, its the last three years that counts, so if you for example retired from the Police and then after three years decided to move to France you would not get an E 106.  No, it is not fair, but that is the system.

One mistake perhaps you are making is applying for your own E 106's, it is totally unnecesary, What you should do is work out who has the longest entitlement to an E 106 and for that person to apply and the other goes as a conjointe.

When I was recently granted my E106 I was told I just qualified for the full 2 yrears as I earned about £20 over the minimum amount which was around £3800 (sorry can't remember the exact figure) in the current financial year. They apparenly look at earnings and NI over the last 3 years

Tony

Jazzer

If you feel that you are entitled to two years get back to Newcastle,  they do and have made mistakes.  BUT remember that E 106's generally expire at the end of the calendar year ( see the thread in FAQ's on Health for more details about dates etc) so in theory if you came to France on Jan 2 you get two years if you come on December 12 you get 13 months.