advice on surgery needed

Kabulla

Hi,

I have been a resident in France for 18 months but studiply have not arranged my E106 (which I am entitled to) until I recently had a ski accident, my UK travel insurance covered basic treatment.

Question is I now need surgery on my knee(ACL) which will cost me £3000 in the UK Privately. Is there a way of me getting surgery(in France) and having it paid for in part by the French system, I have been told my E106 is in the post but concerned on the time factor in receiving my French SS no. Am i being optomistic  in booking surgery here in France, in the hope that all relevent paperwork will be in place prior to the operation?

Also does anyone have any idea of the costs involved for surgery? I understand approx 30% is payable if you are not insured, but i'm sure this will be considerably cheaper than the uk, and a lot quicker wait than the UK on NHS. ( I need to get back to work ASAP)

Also I am soon to marry, and my partner has an SS number in france. Will i be covered as his spouse?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kabulla

As you have omitted to register for French state health insurance (couverture maladie universelle - CMU) you are currently liable for 100% of any french healthcare costs. You say that your E106 is in the post, so as soon as you receive it, you need to register with your local Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie (CPAM).  You can call at the main office (usually located in your main departmental town) but you'll also find that they have local reps who visit small towns once a week so check with your local centre sociale medicale for the dates.  Take along your E106 plus birth certificate, passport, utility bill, and a bank RIB. 

Within a couple of weeks, you should receive a paper attestation confirming you are covered for basic state health insurance and containing your new SS number.  You will eventually receive your carte vitale by post, but the paper attestation will suffice in the meantime. Please note these timescales are approximate and can vary.

Once you have been registered, CPAM will re-imburse a percentage of your future medical costs directly into your bank account (typically 70%) so you should consider taking out a complimentary insurance policy (commonly known as a mutuelle) to cover the shortfall.  Surgery costs can vary according to whether or not the particular surgeon charges the standard rate or premium rate.

You will be covered in your own right for the period of validity of your E106.  After that, your tax reference code will determine you and your partner's future contributions.

A final point - have you remembered to file your first french tax return [;-)]

As to cost - husband broke his leg skiing and had to have an operation

to pin the bone which cost around 1000euros plus cost of room and food

for 3 days ( very cheap.). If your knee op. is for a prothesis it will

probably cost more than this but not sure. Pat.

You could wait a little. As long as you don't ski, your ACL should hold out. Speaking from experience, as I had my ACL done in the UK 3 years ago. (for what it's worth, long rehab, but knee is as good as new, and no scar visible!!!)

Thanks for all your replys,

To start yes I have completed a french tax return but pay nothing in France as still employed in UK and pay tax and NI  there. 

No stupid me hasn't got an E111 was using UK holiday insurance which covered my basic treatment when I fell and doesn't cover after care or surgery.

Babnik would be intrested if you can give me an advice pre op. I have started cycling as advised by doctor in UK to build up my mussels. I know that waiting for the op won't do me any harm but need to get back to work (which involves a lot of bending) as only get sick pay for 6 months. One person I spoke to had 5 months rehab before they returned to work, any help gratefully accepted.

thanks

"...I have started cycling as advised by doctor in UK to build up my mussels.

Next advice will be to go jogging to tighten up your oysters ![:D]

Sorry couldn't resist. I do wish you the very best of luck with everything.

Cycling was advised to me pre-op, as you will have lost muscle bulk after your accident. as long as you do not do any lateral movements, you should be ok (hence cycling!) Post op, you'll start rehab immediately. You'll cycle very soon after op, but jogging will take around 4 months. After 6 months, you'll be ok to bend fully, and depending on how seriously you took rehab, you should be ok from about 7-9 months to restart your chosen sport. Depends also on the type of operation you will have. Mine was done using pinhole surgery, so less invasive (and no whacking great scar), so quicker to heal.