Health Cover for children and myself while husband stays in UK for a while

Debra

I think you should ring Newcastle again, I feel you have been wrongly informed about having Maternity cover under EHIC (unless emergency of course)

When you speak to someone else you may be given `proper` advice/help.

PS We know what you`ve been up to ![:P]

I think you should ask about E109 which covers family in Europe while husband is paying tax and NI in Britain - might not be applicable in your case but no harm in asking.

EHIC may be OK, as it replaces several older forms, such as E128, and has a wider scope than just the old E111. There is an English speaking CPAM helpline that you can check with to see if you would be covered during pregnancy in France with EHIC. Ring 0033 820 904 212 from England (during French office hours).

French tax authorities look at joint income rather than that of the individuals, so it should be possible for you both to be taxed in France, with what husband has paid in UK tax offset against the French liability. Once you have established French tax residency you should not be liable for capital gains should you sell the French house, so that could work in your favour. Husband can be counted as tax resident in both countries.

In a situation like this, tax and social security are regarded as separate issues.

You do need proper professional advice though. Forums can point you in the direction of what questions to ask elsewhere, but do not provide complete and authoritative information.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Will,

Not sure if you will be able to help me on this but my situation sound a little like the one you have described.  I am trying to work how to get onto the French health care system as my husband and I live in France but my husband is employed and pays taxes and national ins. in the UK.  He is covered for private treatment in the UK but there is no point me being covered in the UK.  I would like to get on the French system and pay top up private cover.  Any ideas would be welcome!! 

Thanks very much

Victoria

The CGT position is currently a bit up in the air, as the double tax agreement is changing. If you are quick, you would probably not be liable for CGT on your UK house, depending on how long you have owned it and how long you have not lived in it. But you do need advice from a qualified person. British tax people are usually very helpful if you talk to them.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  My husband works in the UK for a UK company but is resident in France therefore reducing our tax liability in the UK and not having to pay French tax or contributions.  Does that mean I need to call Newcastle (not sure who you all mean in Newcastle!)and ask for the for mentioned?  If so, who do I then contact and pass it onto?

Thanks for any help.

Victoria

Victoria,

just to add one point to what Debbie has said, when you become resident in France, the family becomes resident in France and hubby will have to make a tax declaration in France.  Very unlikely you will be due any taxes since they are already paid in the UK, but just so that you know.

Andyh4,

Maybe off the specific topic but related to your post above, I (sole wage earner) am resident in Sharjah, if my wife decides to stay in France permanently would I then be classed as resident in France for tax purposes? How would my wife declare her income (which would be from me), would she even have to?

It hasn't happened yet but she seems very loathe to return to (extremely hot and sunny ) Sharjah, for that I don't honestly blame her.

Regards

Steve

my understanding is yes she (the family) does have to make a declaration and that includes all world income for the family.  So all of your wages in Sharjah have to be declared, and if there is no double taxation treaty * then you will get clobbered twice.

* On this I have no idea if there is one or not

Andyh4,

Many thanks for your reply, I guess I will have to ''persuade'' my wife that Sharjah is a really wonderful place to come back to, at least for 6 months of the year. Taxation treaty is not relevent as there is no tax on income in the U.A.E.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks all for the tax advise- but we have all that sorted out.  My husband is air-crew and therefore falls into a totally separate tax system.  It is only the health cover we are not clear about as our accountants only deal with our tax.  I will give Newcastle a call and see what they say. 

Thanks again for all the advise.

Victoria

Thanks for that, Debra, useful information for the future, and I hope you get the right forms to let you give birth where you want.

EHIC takes the place of other forms like E128, which gave temporary health cover for travelling workers, foreign students etc, allowing them to receive treatment through the French system for existing conditions - I suppose it comes down to whether or not pregnancy can be described as an 'existing condition'.

Here is an extract from the French Health Insurance Service [url=http://www.ameli.fr/82/DOC/47/fiche.html] WEBSITE [/url] which deals with pregnancy:

Vous êtes enceinte. Vous bénéficiez de la prise en charge à 100 %, sur la base et dans la limite des tarifs de la sécurité sociale, de l'ensemble des frais médicaux, pharmaceutiques, d'analyse et d'examen de laboratoire, d'hospitalisation, qu'ils soient ou non en rapport avec votre grossesse, à votre accouchement et à ses suites, à partir du 1er jour du 6e mois de votre grossesse jusqu'à 12 jours après la date réelle de votre accouchement.

If you are registered for CMU cover under your E121, then you'll receive 100% reimbursement of medical fees, pharmacy, tests and hospitalisation for the qualifying period. The 100% reimbursement extends to all medical conditions arising during this period whether or not associated with the actual pregnancy.