Medical Insurance for incapacitated

edann42

I am confused!! My wife and I are currently on long term Incapacity Benefit and I retire next year. Currently I also recieve Disability Living Allowance (which I know will not be paid when we move to France).

Do I/we still need a medical top up insurance? Do companies insure people such as ourselves?

We have lived here permanently since last year. Yes, you will need top up medical insurance but, if you qualify, any costs relating to your long term incapacity will be reimbursed 100% by the French authorities.

If you have illnesses which are not related to your incapacity then you will be reimbursed partly by the French authorities and partly by your top up insurance.

You should be talking to Newcastle (department?) now to ensure that either by age or due to your long term incapacity you are eligible to receive an E121 which you will need to give to the French authorities (CPAM) when you move over here permanently.

When we took out top up insurance the company said they were not interested in any long term incapacity as they would not have to reimburse us for any costs incurred. We have that in writing from them.

As far as DLA is concerned I don't know but I was always under the impression that it cannot be awarded if you are already living abroad but can be exported if you have previously been receiving it in the UK. Maybe someone else can qualify that for you.

Benjamin